Very low light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a t8 17 watt light on a 29 gallon high, what are some very low light plants that are relatively quick growing?

Nothing can survive in that low light that also grows quickly. Fast growing generally corresponds with high light and nutrient requirements.
Some types of Anubias and java ferns are about the lowest light plants that exist, and I wouldn't even guarantee that they would live. Both of them slow growing in low light.
I started with that same light on a tank the same depth as a 29 tall and swords couldn't live, water wisteria couldn't live, even anacharis couldn't survive floating on the surface 3 inches from the light. Only thing that would grow for me was algae.

I have the same set-up. I have only had my plants for a few weeks, but I did a bunch of research. Various anubias and java fern are doing well in my tank. Just put in some crypt wendti, so I will see how that goes.

But, I would agree with Khuligirl in that the question should be what can survive in this low of light. I think fast growth will be a challenge for any species in this environment.

I am a rookie, though, so others may disagree.

Back
Top Bottom