very strange!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliffz

Aquarium Advice Freak
folks,
I came home yesterday and 3 of 8 stems from my tiger lily (bulb plant) were floating in tank. Got home today and 3 more were floating--This plant is usually a great grower where I have to clip since the stems get too long when the leaf hits the surface.

I have 2 more decent size stems and 2 small leaves trying to uncurl.

What would make this plant die in one-two days? No changes to tank except a week ago --adding Florish Excel to rid BBA.

Very strange
Thanks

Folks--my error--its a tiger lotus not lilly

Has a nodule/bulb at base which grows roots. I understand they are hearty and the bulb can be out of water for weeks then when put back in tank revive itself. Currently my shed most its stems and leaves. Beautiful green/reddish leaf

What would make this Lotus shed all its appendages in 2 days? (the stems broke off in half and floated to top. )

thanks

I don't know the answer, but like zenkatydid asked, does a tiger lotus, or any other plant, go into dormancy similar to what normal plants do? That may explain the action of your plant.

Also, has anything else changed in the tank? Maybe the plant is stressed?

Yes, I think zenkatydid and Apocalypse_Gold have it. Nymphaea zenkeri - tiger lotus - do experience periods of dormancy where growth ceases. Leave the bulb(s) in the tank and, in a month or so, it(they) should fire back up.

Travis--Thanks--Ill keep everyone posted as time evolves.
Cliff NY

Back
Top Bottom