Very unusual cloudiness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I did an overhaul of the 75gals aquascape over the weekend. I removed two pieces of driftwood and added additional rockwork.

Since then, the tank has had a weird cloudiness to it. I've done two partial water changes, checked the filter and still the cloudiness is there. Each time, the same amount of cloudiness remains.

I originally thought it was an algae or bacterial bloom but since it's the same condition after each change, I'm completely lost.

The rockwork was part of the original batch I orginally bought and was cleaned 2x (once when I first got it and again before adding.

I've included a pic if it will help.

it will go away in a few days. that happens to me when i add rocks. if it does clear up in 2 or 3 days mb something else.

mabe the filter ien't strong enoth when i put rocks in mine tank teh filter oulnt handly the water pressure on it. were is the end of the filter input?
it could have notrhing to do with the rocks before my filter broke my tank was duster for like 7 days before it broke.

I never had that big of a tank, so these are just some thoughts. Check the intake position as suggested -- I guess it could be too low, and bringing stuff up off the bottom. Even after a good gravel vac, I still see particles floating around for awhile. Also, just a guess -- don't compare the time that the 30 gallon would take to clear as opposed to the 75 gallon. Since it's so big, it just may take longer. Your parameters are ok? How is the pH? Were the rocks in the other tank, and you just transferred them over to the 75 gallon, or is this the first time you're using them in a tank?

Yes, the rocks had been in the 30 and then stored until now. I just moved the driftwood away and adjusted the intake and I think I found the problem. I haven't cleaned out the tubes since I got them :oops: small particles of detrius were trapped at the bottom.

Man, if it weren't for AA, I would pull all my hair out. Wait...I don't have any hair. :D

Thank you all!

If the filter is working fine why not try some acu-clear?
I buy it at petco. The dose is one drop per gallon. It works well.

Is Acu-Clear drops that you add to the tank to make the water clear? If so, I wouldn't use this product. All it does is mask the problem. It is better to do partial water changes and find the problem instead of adding unnecessesary chemicals to the tank that can potentially harm your fish. We used to use Clarity before coming to AA. This is where I learned that this stuff can actually harm fish. Also, if the cloudiness is due to a bacterial bloom, the water clarifier will actually make the water cloudier.

I'm glad you found the problem JC. It's always the stuff that you don't even THINK about.

Well...good news! The tank has cleared up considerably and it was a little work to get it. I discovered a couple of things:

I have cloudy water from tap...I use the python to fill the tank. The sediment from this process had built up in the intake.

I cleaned out all the hoses and intake tube and filled the tank the old fashioned way...treated water via bucket.

Here's what it looks like now:

I actually use paper towel to wipe down the inside of the tank. It sounds like it wouldn't work but when I tried it did not fall apart aand gently removed any coatings.

Check it out at Simply discus. A few people there use them. Un-dyed, unscented of course!

Glad to hear the tank is clearing up. I think it was a simple bacterial bloom caused by some debris getting stirred up.

I use paper towels in my tanks but you can't use just any brand - many will dissolve in water. My preferred brand is Viva by Kleenex, because these are literally almost like flannel cloth, and do not fall apart at all.

Back
Top Bottom