WABI KUSA - First attempt, Planted Emersed Pico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
What's up AA!

I want to document a mini experiment in my first attempt at a Wabi Kusa. It's basically a method of growing aquatic plants emersed, like the dry start method. Check out the following links if you want to learn more:

About Wabi-Kusa Aquascaping | The Green Machine

Wabi-Kusa Tutorial: Cube by James Findley: Wabi-Kusa Tutorial: Cube by James Findley - YouTube

And

The secret to ADA Wabi-Kusa? They are filled with rocks! - Plant Physiology & Emersed Culture - Aquatic Plant Central

And

Coincidental Success: Kiran's Do!Aqua 20cm Wabi Kusa Cube

===========

I posted this in my 3g long journal, but I think, if it's a successful venture, it deserves it's own thread. So here we go...

Tank & Light:
I'm using a high clarity rimless cube (AquaTop). 2g volume in dimensions. And an Archaea LED light.

Plants:
Peacock moss
HM (baby tears)
HC (dwarf baby tears)
Hydrocotyle sp. Japan
AR "mini"
Ludwigia sp. Red
UG
E. Parvula (dwarf hairgrass)

Wabi Kusa Ball:
ADA AquaSoil Amazonia

Here's a close-up of the cube and how I managed to squeeze the LED light overhead with limited clearance.

Then I took a fine mesh bag and filled it with new AquaSoil and a few small river stones to weigh it down. I also got a nice clump of peacock moss that I'll use to cover the ball with.

With fishing line I wrapped it real tight to form a ball.

And the finished product... DAY 1
Keeping my fingers crossed it'll grow... And I'm not talking mold. LOL

15891706542_fedc8b7382_b.jpg

15890362701_4357e8febb_b.jpg

15706321759_1cdda91633_b.jpg

Last edited:
Cool! Totally following!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Very nice, Brian!

I've done a few wabi kusas and have had success with them, unfortunately I let them all dry out a few months back when it got very hot here and I got too busy with other things (mostly my wedding, hah). My wabi's followed the exact steps documented by TPT's pweifan (Scott): Scott's wabi kusa collection

He was kind enough to set me up with me a basic start up kit with plants, clay, sphagnum moss and glass container. I ran my set ups with a Deep Blue Solar Flare micro and a simple desk lamp with a 6500k 23 watt bulb with a photo period of 12 hours if I recall correctly.

I took a few photos of one when I was setting it up but unfortunately never took any photos of it afterwards (it eventually filled up the container nicely).

Now that you got one started I think I'll start mine back up too, this time in a much larger bowl! Looking forward to updates! (y)

I like this idea, think I can remember seeing James Findlay doing one, I love his aquascaping video's........

I'm on board. I hadn't heard of wabi kusa until I was reading your post you mentioned above. I'm thinking about doing one for my desk at work. Btw your attempt is looking good so far.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for following guys! Glad to introduce a new segment of this hobby to you pittbully.. as of today, the wabi is still alive and kickin'. Changed the water last night and plants perking up. hopefully my next photo update will show improvements.

Quoting my original post to show day 1 photos... new ones posted below it:

And the finished product... DAY 1
Keeping my fingers crossed it'll grow... And I'm not talking mold. LOL

15891706542_fedc8b7382_b.jpg

15890362701_4357e8febb_b.jpg

15706321759_1cdda91633_b.jpg

Update... luckily no mold and some growth inn progress :) looks like the ludwigia red is growing well.. HM as well. AR Mini, not so much.

jTpeMjOviYwGl.jpg

jXTDuUWnwgcPK.jpg

Last edited:
Hey look at that! Its so profound! That one sprout reaching towards the heavens for a breath of fresh air.. poetry dawg..

Just a little over a month now, still growing. The ludwigia red lost most of its red. It also got fairly tall it fell over, so I cut it in half and planted the top.

Update photo:
jbfFfdHg9QobKc.jpg

That thing is coming in nice, looks great! I 've been having some problems with mine due to the fact it's at work and I've had a bunch of holiday leave.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks. Sorry to hear yours isn't doing well. You can always start over if it doesn't look good.

Lol...that's what the little voice in my head tells me a lot these days.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm so jealous. I tried to do a wabi Kusa and totally forgot to water it. Turned to mush :( this inspires me to try again perhaps. Glad to see the growth!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wow! Gorgeous!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nice! That baby really took off!!

Nice!! There just something so elegant about the wabi kusa.

I've been thinking about doing one myself. Definitely following (y)

Back
Top Bottom