Walmart bulbs and plant ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheezysquirrelz

Aquarium Advice Freak
----Does it mean the bulb is dead if it floats?

----I went to a small petstore and there was this cool plant. I asked the name but they didn't know. Its a smallish plant that attaches to rocks and such and it has kinky/wrinkly green leaves. Does anyone know what this is?

It could be java fern. But I'm not sure, a picture would help a lot. For the bulbs, I have never heard of a bulb that floats means its dead. I have tried aquarium bulbs from Wal-Mart and they do not work very well. Because they are very dim.

Go to http://www.tropica.com

on the right hand side select

Microsorum pteropus ''Narrow''

and work your way down the microsorums, they are all java ferns, I have a windelov here (pesky thing for some reason doesn't want to do anything)

For the floaters you should just wait until it soaks in enough water to sink. Many of the bulbs have been in those packages for very long times so have dried out.

On the lily bulbs from Walmart- You know how it says it will grow in 21 days? Well mine didn't- I posted a topic on this in December I think. But since then I've still left all 3 bulbs in the tank and one has started sprouting roots, so I'm hoping for a new plant soon.

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
I have a windelov here (pesky thing for some reason doesn't want to do anything)

What do you mean by it doesn't want to do anything? Mine seems to grow very fast. My lace java fern is attached to driftwood.

Mine seems to have stalled, it was looking very good for a while, but then I had a green water problem, turned the lights off for a couple days, waters crystal clear now but the fern has some brown tips..

Do you have any amano shrimp? I have 6 and when I got them I placed them in my java fern and they went to work and now all the fern in the front is bright green (from brown) cause the shrimp ate the algae. They are really neat to watch when they are scraping algae off the leaves cause they seem to be working so hard the leave is shaking.

I have a bunch of ghost shrimp, rather nervous adding some other non-large shrimp in there with a 10" Pleco and 6 Congos (plus 5 Clowns) how big do they get? I don't mind losing a 49cent Ghost Shrimp, but a 5$ shrimp is too expensive for food.

Back
Top Bottom