Walstad method anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bl414

Aquarium Advice Activist
Going to be setting up my second aquarium soon. Its my first time trying out plants and was thinking about doing a walstad method.

Anyone ever try this out?

Are you going to go full-on Walstad method, or pseudo-Walstad method like I did (see link in my signature)?. I am currently reading her book, and can give you some pointers if you need. Jonathan (mfdrookie516) and I are both doing dirt tanks and we are loving it.

If you want to have a successful planted tank the cheapest way possible then do the walstad method. I did my 29 gallon with dirt and this is what I learned: it is definitely a lot of work to start up a dirt tank and get it going but in the long run, less work will have to be done. In my opinion, dirting your tank is the way to go because your plants get everything they need from the dirt and as long as you do it right, your plants will absolutely take off in a dirt tank.

Really, the best advice I can give you is to go YouTube and watch every single video by dustins fish tanks. He knows whats up and he has some great videos. He doesn't inject co2 or have powerful lights and he has great success and it's because of the dirt. Just go watch his videos before you start up the your dirt aquarium and do what he says because He knows what he's talking about.

Really, the best advice I can give you is to go YouTube and watch every single video by dustins fish tanks. He knows whats up and he has some great videos. He doesn't inject co2 or have powerful lights and he has great success and it's because of the dirt. Just go watch his videos before you start up the your dirt aquarium and do what he says because He knows what he's talking about.
I agree with checking out Dustins tanks. I've seen them a few times and was amazed. The videos just don't do them justice. You can hide things in videos too, but since I've seen them in person, I can tell you that there's nothing hidden.

I don't agree with the bolded part... well part of it anyways. He has metal halide lighting. I can't remember what wattage they are, but that's definitely medium-high/high lighting.

FWIW, I have high light in my 125 and am currently not running co2 or ferts (I just turned my co2 off a few days back to test it) and so far no algae problems. My plants look really good and are growing like crazy. Dirt is a little more work, and you have to be really careful when moving plants and such as a dust cloud will ultimately follow if you aren't really super careful.

I just started a pseudo-Walstad method tonight in fact in my 125, made a custom UGF for the center with room for three power heads at one end (kind of like a stream effect), dirt at each end with gravel over the filter. so far only cuttings from my overly happy 10 gallon tank but hope to snag a few more from the lfs this pay check...once it settles enough to see into I'll post some pics

Back
Top Bottom