Want To Know What Kind Of Plants For A Beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raygator

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to plant my 125 tetra tank with carpeting plants, I just need to know what is a good and hardy kind for beginners and how much of it I should start with...

Generally speaking, good carpeting needs CO2, high light (or at least strongly medium), and ferts. If you don't have that, you won't get good carpeting, unfortunately. Most carpets will grow, but you won't get that thick, lush look w/o that.

As far as easy and hardy, hard to go wrong with glosso. Maintainance on hte other hand....

Right now I have a few bright uv lights on my tank but no co2 kit, just fish to create that. How much glosso would I need to start with?

UV lights probably won't grow plants. Fish + Atmosphere will give you about 7 ppm CO2. You'll want ~30 ppm.

Depends on how long you want to wait for the glosso to carpet.

Hmmm, there seems to be more to this than I thought. I'll probably just keep researching to know if I should do this or not, because I don't want to buy plants and have them all die and look like crap and dirty up the tank

There are tons of ways to make lush planted tanks w/o high light and co2. Nice carpets on the other hand, more demanding...

All tanks should be planted, imo

I guess I could try other plants too, I just like the look of carpets. I also think all tanks should be planted, it looks cool and promotes a healthier ecosystem imb. Which is why I want to plant it

Back
Top Bottom