Wanting to plant my 10 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiny tank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have gravel in the tank right now, i was wanting to just get new gravel because it is fading, but I've decided i want to just some real plants in there. The tank has been set up, there are fish. I was wondering what substrate I should change to have good plants and how to safely change the substrate.

thanks!

gravel works, sand work, plant substrate works. it all depends on what you like

if you do a search on this site regarding changing/ switching substrate. they will explain different ways to switch over.

also do you have any idea what type of plants you want because that could help you pick out a substrate.

I really don't know much about plants. The closest pet store to me doesn't sell real plants. I'm making the 1 1/2 hour trip to petco this weekend to see what they have. I would like to get everything in one trip since I don't go up there that often

Tiny tank said:
I really don't know much about plants. The closest pet store to me doesn't sell real plants. I'm making the 1 1/2 hour trip to petco this weekend to see what they have. I would like to get everything in one trip since I don't go up there that often

PETCO doesn't really have much for plant.. Umm have you considered ordering online?
what is the lighting is on your tank?

rreekers said:
PETCO doesn't really have much for plant.. Umm have you considered ordering online?
what is the lighting is on your tank?

I have Incandescent hood and I just buy the lights that are next to the hood at Walmart. They look just like normal light bulbs but they're long.

Tiny tank said:
I have Incandescent hood and I just buy the lights that are next to the hood at Walmart. They look just like normal light bulbs but they're long.

so I'm guessing its a standard 15w bulb. that will limit you to low light plants.. is the tank already up and running, cycled, and home to fish? what type of fish?

rreekers said:
so I'm guessing its a standard 15w bulb. that will limit you to low light plants.. is the tank already up and running, cycled, and home to fish? what type of fish?

Yes, the tank has been running for over a year. I'm a little low on fish due to an ich outbreak about a month ago. I've got 3 zebra danios, 1 bloodfin and some little orange guppy. I was planning in getting a pair of panda Cory's and maybe one or two other fish.

2 15w bulbs in a 10g will allow you to grow most basic plants, low light or otherwise. I had an impressive bush of rotala and wisteria going in a 10g will with two 10w cfls.

Thanks for the advice guys! I found the box and they are 15 watt. So I've got two 15 watts. I hope Petco has at least some basic plants. If not I'll look into buying off the Internet.

Back
Top Bottom