Wanting to restart my planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
10 gallon tank
40 watts of power compact 10k
I have one of those CO2 yeast things (not as effective as compressed CO2...but.....)
Also have the full set of nutrients for a planted tank
I dont have a filter for it, but I could move over a canister filter to the tank that I don't think would be too powerful so as to prevent CO2 loss.

The tank is going to be a dwarf puffer tank I think.

My quistion is this.

Can I use the substrate that is sitting in the dry tank right now? It is the sand used for salt water tanks, just never been used. Last time the tank was a planted tank I used the clay-based stuff for planted tanks.

So, can I use the nearly white sand (perhaps with some MTSs added to keep the sand from compacting so much that roots cant grow?

Depends on the sand. If it's meant to buffer the pH, then you may not want to use it if raising the pH isn't a desired effect. In addition if it has sharp edges or is overly fine you would want to avoid it as it would damage the plant roots.

being too fine would damage the roots? I know it doesn't have sharp edges....wouldn't be very good in a reed tank then, but it does keep the pH kinda up there, I figure I would counter act that with a few pieces of driftwood if the water being basic would be bad

Overly fine will compact too much and sufficate the roots. MTS probably wouldn't be enough to counteract this, since they're recommended to stir the coarser sand.

You might want to look into Pool Filter Sand. It's very inexpensive and recommended for use in planted tanks. You could compare it to your existing sand to determine whether or not it's usable.

I would like to suggest not using sand. I recently tried pfs in my 10g tank. At first it was ok. I kept the depth at 1'' or less to stave off anaerobic pockets. When I started planting, things got messy. The sand looked dirty, the stem plants would float whenever gently brushed, and the sand settled on everything making my plants look dirty. I changed to eco-complete and I am much happier with it. JMO

Back
Top Bottom