Water barrel for supplying my planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiger terror

Aquarium Advice Addict
So looking for suggestions,tips&what if any benefits there are for the my planted tanks...

Getcha feet wet fish tank people!

I use mine more for the fish, steadier parameters during water changes as my tap blows out a ph of 8.5 while it settles to around 7.4 after 24 hrs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looking at picking up a 32 gallon trash can from Home Depot..will also need a heater&pump/tubing.Am I missing something?

Are you planning to catch rainwater with it? If so you will also need some sort of guttering or catch system. I use a trash can as a barrel for my drip system but it doesn't use rain water.

No this will be setup inside as I'm tiring of filling buckets weekly for the pwc's(5 tanks).

No this will be setup inside as I'm tiring of filling buckets weekly for the pwc's(5 tanks).

Sounds like a good plan if your PH swings that much after leaving the tap. I can't think of why that would be a problem as long as you rinse out the can really well first. Maybe to be extra safe, fill it up with hot water and let it sit for a week to let any chemicals in the plastic leach out?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

From what I'm reading online is suggesting not leaving water in non-food safe containers over 6 months&at that point shall be considered gray water..now since I intend on using a new plastic trash can for holding purposes I'm slightly concerned...anyone who can shead some light on this topic with some advice possibly backed by experience plz chime in..I was planning on setting this up tomorrow..

Looking like the Brute Rubbermaid 32 gallon might be my best option..

Water barrel filled,added an air stone&old heater until the new equip comes(middle of next week)also bought a ball valve to place inline with the fill tubing for flow control..

Thinking about building a serviceable diy activated carbon filter to put inline w/the fill tubing...tubing is 5/8 id,I work for a plumbing company so I should be able to come up with some of the materials needed..any ideas are appreciated...

Are you expecting the water to sit in it for months at a time? I'm confused.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Water only sits for max 72hrs before use,but in that time there is noticeable grit which settles in the bottom of the barrel...

Water only sits for max 72hrs before use,but in that time there is noticeable grit which settles in the bottom of the barrel...

If that's the case? It'd be best to filter from the source, is that what you're eluding to?? I think you're on to something, even a simple mesh screen could help. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I put a marineland 3 in 1 powerhead in the barrel last night with activated carbon&filter floss in in a water bottle which was attached to the intake of the powerhead..

Back
Top Bottom