Water lily, dwarf lily

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krogman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looking for a profile of water lilies. I have so far found that they seem to do well In all conditions: low-medium-high lighting, high or lo tech tanks. I have a lowlight lo tech tank with just one anubias and am looking into getting a dwarf water lily. I read that in low light situations they put out more lily pads which is what I'm going for.
Anyone have any experience with or knowledge of these pretty plants?

Dwarf water lilies and tiger lotus need root tabs as they are heavy root feeders. Most grow them for their underwater leaves as if they are left to grow surface leaves the will quickly cover the water surface shading all plants below. There is nothing to growing them. I cut off all leaves that shoot out on long stems that quickly grow to the surface. If this is done it encourages underwater leaves which are very attractive. It's just a matter of how you want to grow them. They will grow and do fine in all lights and will send surface leaves out regardless of light level.

Thank you. I want something floating and do not plan to have many plants for a while as I want to do that process correctly. So I'm thinking of going for the lily.

I have been reading and found that people suggest just letting the bulbs sink themselves and the roots will do their job after that. I have a play sand substrate, should I just let it sink and put a root tab after the roots start? Or pot it after it sinks? And if potting is the correct choice do you have advice for pot contents/substrate

I lay my bulb where I want the plant and if it wants to move around I just kind of box it in with small rocks. Once I see it sprouting top leaves I add a root tab next to it. Then be sure to keep up on root tabs following the directions as to how often to add them.

Back
Top Bottom