Water Parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the water goes cloudy with the addition of CO2, it is probably reacting with something in the water.

I don't think you have enough plants in there to warrant using CO2.

If you are using CO2, increase the KH to 80-100ppm. If you only have 40ppm KH it might get used up quickly and the pH could drop suddenly. That could stress or kill some of the fish.

The tetras are blackwater fish that don't like bright light. If you put some floating plants in the tank, they might spend more time in the open.

There is no need to increase KH as a result of Co2 input. The injected co2 will drop the pH but will not change the KH. However, if you were to change the pH in a tank, you alter the form of inorganic carbon. The lower the pH the inorganic carbon will be mostly co2 and as the pH increases the carbon becomes mostly bicarbonate then carbonate.

I don’t think the water is cloudy because of the co2. Have you done any large water changes, gravel vacuuming or filter cleaning recently?

How new is the tank?

I do agree that you need more plants to make use of the co2. Mainly because you will have more oxygen which is probably more important than anything as far as aquariums are concerned.

There is no need to increase KH as a result of Co2 input. The injected co2 will drop the pH but will not change the KH. However, if you were to change the pH in a tank, you alter the form of inorganic carbon. The lower the pH the inorganic carbon will be mostly co2 and as the pH increases the carbon becomes mostly bicarbonate then carbonate.

I don’t think the water is cloudy because of the co2. Have you done any large water changes, gravel vacuuming or filter cleaning recently?

How new is the tank?

I do agree that you need more plants to make use of the co2. Mainly because you will have more oxygen which is probably more important than anything as far as aquariums are concerned.
I've cleaned the algae off near the bottom and that makes some dirt move up.

Ok that is probably why the tank has gone cloudy. You have disturbed the biological colonies in the substrate or released ammonia from decomposing wastes which has disturbed the cycle.

In a planted aquarium we are encouraged never to disturb the substrate.
Oh I didn't know that; thanks for letting me know. I have also added a Marineland Micron Filter

Back
Top Bottom