Water softener help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishey bricks

Aquarium Advice Activist
Since water in my area becomes very hard (close to 200 ppm) during the dry season I need to get some sort of softener. I've done the peat method ( which turned the water a dark tannic, and couldn't make water fast enough) and I've collected rain water (which work great until the dry season). Any other ideas of a good low cost system?

Since water in my area becomes very hard (close to 200 ppm) during the dry season I need to get some sort of softener. I've done the peat method ( which turned the water a dark tannic, and couldn't make water fast enough) and I've collected rain water (which work great until the dry season). Any other ideas of a good low cost system?

Reverse osmosis deionised water unit (RODI) expensive initially but cost effective over time. water passes through the membranes and creates near pure water. Because we don't want pure water in our aquariums you cut it with tap to get your desired mineral content say 50/50 would give you 100ppm. The do waste a lot of water and you have to change the membranes every so often but many people use them who are in your situation or reef tank user will use RODI water then add the essential elements that are required to sustain a healthy reef tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom