Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Water Sprite turning brown questions

I have a bunch of water sprite in my tank that seems to be growing, what I think is, normally. It grows very rapidly. But, once it starts to fill out, it starts growing roots everywhere and turning brown. I assume this to be normal. Is there a way to prevent this? Maybe by pruning it a certain way? If anyone else has had success keeping this plant green, how do you do it? I'm about to remove it from my tank completely and find something else to take it's place.

And, before I forget, I dose with GW ferts and all other plants are not showing any signs of difficencies. In fact, my swords are growing like there is no tomorrow!

55 gallon Planted - Tank Log
DIY Hood 96w 6500K
Rena Filstar Xp3
Ketso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

For me, I have been removing about 50% of it every other week just to keep it under control. I have never experienced what you are describing. What part of the plant turns brown?

Old 04-11-2007, 10:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, as you know, it grows fast. I dont remove too much very often and it develops roots all over. It seems like, once these roots start out, that the plant decides the areas around the roots (mainly the leaves) are no longer needed and they just turn brown. I tried to get a clear pic of it, but my camera wont focus that close.

Maybe I will start trimming it more and see what happens. Maybe it wont try to put out roots so much if I do. It's worth trying I guess. I just removed what seemed like 10lbs of it this afternoon. I kept and replanted about 20 sections that were looking good with good root structure (all about 4-8" tall). In a week or so, it will fill up again.

I'll report back what I find out in a few weeks. thanks A t C.

55 gallon Planted - Tank Log
DIY Hood 96w 6500K
Rena Filstar Xp3
Ketso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have no advice for you, but I sympathize. I have tried keeping this plant on 2 separate occasions and both times it basically disintegrated exactly how you described. The first time I thought it was a potassium deficiency, but I am not convinced of that anymore. I don't think I will try to keep this plant again. Unless you have some sort of breakthrough to report...

Tags
water sprite

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com