Water surface skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawkins409

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a canister filter that draws water from low in the tank, instead of the surface like a lot of sump systems use. The return on my canister filter system agitates the surface of the tank. I also have a power head that agitates the surface on the other side. But still, there is a thin film of stuff on the surface, plus plant debris after trimming floats to the surface - and it is impossible to remove 100 percent of it. So.... I'm thinking about a water surface skimmer.

I have seen that you can build a DIY surface skimmer with a power head and water bottle, but... that's not as sleek as I'd like. I have also seen commercial skimmers that look like they just replace the intake on the canister filter system, but I'm not sure about that - it looks like it just draws water from the surface only. Any ideas?

Hi there
You can buy surface skimmer attachments there's a few makes out there and won't cost too much or you could go for a tanze motorised skimmer it is a separate unit that sticks to the inside of your tank

I actually have that surface skimmer on one of my Fluval 406 canisters BUT it's made to fit the smaller Fluval canisters so you might have to get creative hooking it up to the hose on the Fluval. I can't remember what my daughter used but she got some pieces from the spare parts box and managed to rig it together so it works.

Do the surface skimmer attachments, like the Fluval or others designed like it, draw water just from the surface? If so, is that a bad thing to have your canister only drawing from the surface?

They draw mostly from below the surface, with a small amount skimmed from the surface. You can adjust the ratio from a little twistable stem that sticks out from the skimmer. I try to keep it low - just enough so that the surface doesn't accumulate a skein of bacterial slime.

The skimmer floats - so it adjusts as your water level adjusts. You just control the ratio of suction, which controls how much is from the top vs. bottom.

Picked up a simple surface skimmer to attach to the canister filter system. It's the kind with the float. It works great! Crystal clear surface now. And it doesn't make a sound.

Back
Top Bottom