Wattage.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ikon

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 gal tank .

I only have a 18 watt ( Floraglow ) bulb . Ive been told I dont have enough wattage to support " bright light " plants .

How am I suppose to add more wattage if they only make 18 watt bulbs for my size ?

You would have to buy another light fixture and use two of them together, or
you could also buy a double lamp fixture so you can use one hood.
Tons of light options out there, depends how much you have to spend and how hot you want to run your tank.
I have a 20 gallon with two double light hoods, runs 4-20 wt bulbs. I have these fixtures sitting directly on a glass top. That is alot of light, you could run half that amount and grow alot of nice plants.
Long answer short, you need to get yourself another light fixture :)

I use a fixture with 2x 32 watt Compact Fluorescent bulbs on my 20 gallon. This will let me grow just about anything in there.

That said, getting into higher light means learning about ferts, and CO2.

Not to hijack the thread, but what kind of WPG would one have before one had to start worrying about CO2 to reduce threat of algae bloom? I've just retrofitted CF fixtures into my hood which originally came with my 29G FW equipped with a 20W plant and fish tube. I've now got about 2WPG once you take restrike into account (I've used u shaped CF tubes, fixtures fitted into the old fluorescent hood casing). I suspect I'm on the line, if not past it, for needing CO2 to keep algae in check, though I've got an ever-hungry pleco and a low to medium bioload. I wouldn't mind ferts, but I'd rather steer clear of CO2, just because of the extra effort and expense involved.

I'd rather disconnect one of the tubes and drop my WPG than have to gear up even more equipment. Hyper plant growth isn't my goal, just happy plants. I'm a basement dweller, so there's no natural light to increase lighting on my tank.

Co2 helps with algae at any level, however if you have 2WPG of T12 light over your tank, you're gonna have trouble. CF/T5 and T8 you will start to hit problems around 1.5WPG.

Floral bulbs can also cause problems.

2WPG is the general rule for requiring CO2. There have been a few people running more then that without CO2, but you have to make sure you are heavly planted. I would run your current setup and just keep an eye on your plants and algae.

rkilling1 said:
2WPG is the general rule for requiring CO2. There have been a few people running more then that without CO2, but you have to make sure you are heavly planted. I would run your current setup and just keep an eye on your plants and algae.

Also to add, don't let any nutrients drop out.

to all ....

when i get a light strip with 2 sockets .... so i can have 2 bulbs of course .... what watttage and kinda bulbs should i get for my 20 gal tank ??

right now ... i dont know anything about the co2 stuff .. right now i use a flourish liquid fert w/ iron ..

the only plants that seems to live in the 1 bulb i have ( 18 watt Flourglow ) is the java ferns and red ludwiga ....

ikon said:
to all ....

when i get a light strip with 2 sockets .... so i can have 2 bulbs of course .... what watttage and kinda bulbs should i get for my 20 gal tank ??
the type of bulb will be determined by the type of fixture you have... if you get one like what you have then you can run 18 watt t8 bulbs like you have, i would look into the Kelvin rating of the bulbs, and use ones between 6500K and 10000K (look for ones that say "day-light" usually those are 6500 k). easies for you will be picking up a glass top, and another strip-light like you have and run both on your tank (one in front and one in back) this is how i light one of my planted 10 gallons.

Visual #1

img_765914_0_0b00c0ec4ab5750d807a4da94190336f.jpg

then just update to better bulbs... this should allow you to grow MOST COMMON aquatic plants :D

now before you do that you need to look into CO2 and your Ferts...

i am thinking based on your description that what you are using is Flourish Comprehensive... if it is and you are happy with it Great, the Flourish is the best pre-made ferts i have tried. i would suggest you also pick up the following... Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish Phosphate, Flourish Potassium and Flourish Excel. the first 3 and what you already have is your basic dosing ferts. the last one (Excel) is a carbon source and (does not replace CO2 IMO) it can help you through the experimental stage of starting CO2 and supplement it once you get started.

*WARNING: Excel can "melt a few species of plants so research your plant choices*

next do a search of this forum and the net for DIY CO2. basically you produce CO2 gas for your plants using Sugar-water and regular yeast :D.

ok that is enough for now, you have your homework, get back to use with questions. :D

JDogg said:
ikon said:
to all ....

the type of bulb will be determined by the type of fixture you have... if you get one like what you have then you can run 18 watt t8 bulbs like you have, i would look into the Kelvin rating of the bulbs, and use ones between 6500K and 10000K (look for ones that say "day-light" usually those are 6500 k). easies for you will be picking up a glass top, and another strip-light like you have and run both on your tank (one in front and one in back) this is how i light one of my planted 10 gallons.

Visual #1

img_771879_0_0b00c0ec4ab5750d807a4da94190336f.jpg

then just update to better bulbs... this should allow you to grow MOST COMMON aquatic plants :D

now before you do that you need to look into CO2 and your Ferts...

i am thinking based on your description that what you are using is Flourish Comprehensive... if it is and you are happy with it Great, the Flourish is the best pre-made ferts i have tried. i would suggest you also pick up the following... Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish Phosphate, Flourish Potassium and Flourish Excel. the first 3 and what you already have is your basic dosing ferts. the last one (Excel) is a carbon source and (does not replace CO2 IMO) it can help you through the experimental stage of starting CO2 and supplement it once you get started.

*WARNING: Excel can "melt a few species of plants so research your plant choices*

next do a search of this forum and the net for DIY CO2. basically you produce CO2 gas for your plants using Sugar-water and regular yeast :D.

ok that is enough for now, you have your homework, get back to use with questions. :D

so i need to dump all 3 into the tank water when its time to feed the plants..... Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish Phosphate, Flourish Potassium and Flourish Excel.

ok i have the bulbs ( 67,000 k ) glass top and dble strip lite .... now i need to make a diy ?

Back
Top Bottom