Weird spots on Anubias

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium-mania

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi , my Anubias plant has some weird spots on it :
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395255518.742108.jpg

It's a 5 gallon hex with undergravel filter and no fish , I dose weekly with Interpet Flora Boost.
Any idea ?

If its like brownish spots then i reckon its diatom algae. It feeds off excess silicates in the water. Usually from new sand or gravel. Is it on the glass in places as well? Normally towards the bottom near the substrate. Diatom algae is a stage that all newly set up tanks go through. Once the algae has consumed all silicates the algae will die off on its own. If you cant wait to get rid of it then i think nerite snails eat the stuff

If its like brownish spots then i reckon its diatom algae. It feeds off excess silicates in the water. Usually from new sand or gravel. Is it on the glass in places as well? Normally towards the bottom near the substrate. Diatom algae is a stage that all newly set up tanks go through. Once the algae has consumed all silicates the algae will die off on its own. If you cant wait to get rid of it then i think nerite snails eat the stuff

I don't think it's algae , as no other plants have spots , only Anubias . The glass (well acrylic) appears clean too. Here's a better picture :
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395342762.507846.jpg
The gravels not new , it was used in a previous setup of the same tank.
Here's another picture of the Anubias:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395342840.341451.jpg

That really does look like diatoms to be as well. Does it rub off easily? If so it's most likely diatoms. They are not always on the glass.

Def diatoms. It's caused by excess silica in the water. As they consume the silica and the concentration drops, the diatoms will dissipate as we'll.

my 10g had it for a while but after I had plants for about three months it went away and the green algae took over.

I had to reboot my 55g and I have it again still after 5.5 months. it takes time and plants seem to get it gone sooner since they out compete for nutrients. i even thought stronger light would encourage the green stuff to grow and snuff out the diatoms but it seems to be helping it.

Back
Top Bottom