Weird stuff growing on wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualung

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Guys and Girls,

I found this growing on the underside of several bits of wood in my tank, not sure what it is?

62879-albums13963-picture66412.jpg

Not the blood worms, but the whitey yellow stuff... it looks like a root system of some kind, could it be a moss? I also noticed quite a few hydras kicking about :D, is it something to do with them?

Thanks!!

I would remove the piece of DW and boil it. Then pour hydrogen peroxide 3% solution over it and let it sit 20 minutes. Lastly scrub the wood well. Hydra's are not desirable in tanks but some fish will eat them. The white stuff looks like either old dead moss or some type of plant or roots. It needs to be scrubbed off as it's adding nothing to the tank. I'd be more concerned about the hydra's.

Interesting - i thought hydras were generally a sign of good things? It a natural tank with only a Clarias in it, no small fish...

I'll give the wood some treatment though, thanks for that.

The branching appearance of these make me think it is a colony of Bryozoa. I used to see small colonies of Bryozoa on the inner walls of a pond filter I used to run.

The branching appearance of these make me think it is a colony of Bryozoa. I used to see small colonies of Bryozoa on the inner walls of a pond filter I used to run.

Mighty fine shout there captain - It is the closest looking thing I have found... I will keep on looking anyway!!

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom