What am I doing wrong with my Marimo Moss Balls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aneamals

Aquarium Advice Activist
...I don't know if this thread goes here, to be honest.

Well, my Marimos right now are really grey. I thought they would enjoy a tank with water that is kept healthy, and some fish poop as fertilizer, and hardly any light. But they are really grey, so I guess there's something I'm doing wrong. I want to make this tank the most comfortable for them. So what can I do?

The tank is 29 gallons, freshwater, for now just 2 platys, about 84*F, 0.25 or less of ammonia, 0 nitrites, about 5 nitrates. The fish are in great condition, the water is clear, there are 2 hob filters and a bubbler, no other plants just 4 Marimos. I occasionally turn on the LED lights for the Marimos, probably about once a week, for about 5 hours.

Maybe they just want more light? But I read they hardly need any light, so that confuses me. Maybe it's the high temperature? But, I also read they can handle high temps. What could it be?

Are they turning grey or more of a white color? This is what I found:

A lighter or white color could mean they are getting too much light. If the balls turn brown or grey, they likely need to be cleaned. Do this and gently rotate them in the tank so any brown spots are facing the light source. A small amount of salt, up to 5 percent of total water volume, can be added to the tank to encourage growth, if it will not affect other plants and animals. Alternatively, discolored Marimo balls can be placed in a bowl with a 5 percent salt water solution and ice cubes for two to three hours.

Are they turning grey or more of a white color? This is what I found:

A lighter or white color could mean they are getting too much light. If the balls turn brown or grey, they likely need to be cleaned. Do this and gently rotate them in the tank so any brown spots are facing the light source. A small amount of salt, up to 5 percent of total water volume, can be added to the tank to encourage growth, if it will not affect other plants and animals. Alternatively, discolored Marimo balls can be placed in a bowl with a 5 percent salt water solution and ice cubes for two to three hours.

Hmm, not sure how to tell if they're white or grey. Definitely no brown. Everyone seems to think it's a lack of light. I'm going to test giving them more light and see how they react. I'm going to try rolling them in my hands more often too, to remove any dirt.

Just my .02¢

They're outdoor organisims, so a daylight cycle couldn't hurt. 5 hours a day should be OK. Also, they're native to cool/cold water. They'd be perfectly happy in 64± degree water. I read they can even be stored in the refrigerator! That's too cold for your tank, but does give some reference to their native environment.

Back
Top Bottom