what are normal tap water levels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
i just decided to test my tap water for the first time today. i have no ammonia or nitrite in my water which it what i expected but i wasnt expecting to have no nitrates. is it normal to not have any nitrates?

It's normal to have anywhere from 0 to lots of Nitrates, depending on where you live and how you water is treated. Living in Farm Country I'll be lucky if I ever have water that doesn't have Nitrates in it.

I would say its ideal with city tap water that you'd have no nitrates. But in the country, or in small communities that don't have to heavily filter their ground water, its more common to see nitrates, as well as phosphates...both products of chemical run-off going into the ground water.

i live in a smaller town so thats why i was expecting to see some. i guess they have good filtration. thats to bad for my plants though i am gonna have to switch water from my cichlid tank to my planted tank to get some nitrates lol atleast untill i get my ferts.

Back
Top Bottom