What are some commonly sold non-aquatic plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alyxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am trying to get some plants for my new tank. I want lots of mosses, and I know some of the commonly sold ones are actually non-aquatic. I think I've seen flame moss and Christmas moss mentioned as examples, am I right here? I am looking for easy low light plants, so what are some plants that are sold as low to medium light plants that can't live in aquaria?

Well, a lot of people mistake the plants in plastic tubes at petsmart/petco as aquatic. I am not familiar with any specifically. The mosses you listed are fine for aquaria. Some easy plants are Java moss, dwarf sag, swords, and tons of others.

Bamboo such as dracanae are marginal plants. Canis and taro are also marginal. I believe peacock fern or dragon fern is terrestrial. Umbrella plants are terrestrial.

+1 to tbose tube plants. You gotta check the top though. I remember seeing one that said fully aquatic, others said semi aquatic.

Thanks, guys! Yeah, I have learned the hard way with the little tube plants a while back. I'm searching eBay and aquabid for plants, and perhaps I'll look to some aquatic plant websites as well. I don't have a petsmart or petco that is close enough for me to get to right now, seeing as my car is in not running and my roommate's car needs some work before we feel ok taking it on the interstate. My LFS has maybe one or two plants at any given time, and rarely anything that I am interested in or that I can grow, she mostly stocks high light plants. Keep the suggestions coming! I'm pretty much brand new at the whole planted tanks thing. I've tried live plants before, but never really put much thought into plant requirements.

I am trying to get some plants for my new tank. I want lots of mosses, and I know some of the commonly sold ones are actually non-aquatic. I think I've seen flame moss and Christmas moss mentioned as examples, am I right here? I am looking for easy low light plants, so what are some plants that are sold as low to medium light plants that can't live in aquaria?

See the link below... A few of non-aquatic pants at LFS get passed off as aquatic.

PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

Back
Top Bottom