What are some low-maintenance plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StripedBandit

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone, I have a few questions about getting started with live plants.

I currently only have artificial plants in my 29g. I would like to add a few live plants to see how it goes, but I really don't have the time or money to do a big elaborate set up with the good lighting, CO2 systems, etc. I'm just looking for some suggestions for easy plants that can grow in the tank as is. Maybe some to attach to the driftwood and let it grow on there. From what I've heard Java moss, java fern, and anubias will do fine with relatively low lighting and no special equipment, it this correct? I keep up with my weekly water changes and I currently have a Marineland Emperor 280, so the water stays pretty clean. Since the 280 has a bio wheel, I have been told that it removes a lot of the CO2 that passes through it, would I have to make accommodations because of that? And lastly, I have regular gravel. I know this is not ideal for plants to grow in, so I'm guessing I would just have to go with plants that can attach themselves to the driftwood, correct?

Of my 3 tanks, 2 of them have gravel, and one with topsoil/sand cap as practice for my upcoming 100g. My 55g is hi-tech, but my 10g's are pretty basic. I supplement all 3 tanks' substrate with root tabs, but my 10's are running a simple t8 light, with a couple doses of seachem excel and trace each week. I have swords, moss, java ferns, water sprite, water wisteria, a lily, guppy grass, echinodorus vesuvius, dwarf sag,and some other unknown plants that seem to do pretty good in those with little effort on my part. All of them except the guppy grass (free floating) and ferns (attached to driftwood) are planted in the substrate.
As far as your bio wheel and co2, someone else with more experience will have to chime in on that.

As long as you have root tabs and ferts (lots of people use the seachem line) your plants should be relatively fine. And a cheaper light set up is getting some sort of full-spectrum bulb that's 6500 K and a combined 60 watts (depending on if you need two bulbs or one). You don't new the whole expensive setup, but from advice I've been given unless you have full-spectrum you can't really grow anything.
If you're worried about your bio wheel taking out co2 (I can't say whether it does or doesn't, sorry) you can use a liquid co2 supplement. I use API brand, but you can research others as well. I know there's seachem, and another line I can't remember (glut-sometgingorother).

Okay sounds good. I'm not sure what type of bulb I have in there now. It's just one that came in the 29g kit I got years ago.

+1 to the 60w of 6500k full spectrum light. This would give you close to med. light for growing. As for the biowheel... my personal opinion would be that if using co2, then yes it would let more gas exchange at the water surface. If using glut. liquid carbon, it wouldn't matter as much. I don't know a bunch yet tho so maybe we can both get a great answer. I've found that the wrath comes crashing down when you utter falsely!

You can find a full spectrum light at prolly any hardware store :) I was told that the ones that come with the hoods usually won't grow anything. I'm sure you can try, but I didn't want to take any chances so I just got them.

In that case I'll just get them before I try to grow anything. I'm definitely not trying to do this overnight or anything. It'll probably be a long process but that's fine with me.

Also, how often would I have to put in those root tabs?

For root tabs, just follow what it says. I use seachem flourish root tabs and they say to put new ones in every 3-4 months. Others might not last as long, some may last longer. I personally think seachem is great for the price, because you don't need to replace them as often and seachem is good quality stuff.

Java moss is easy and doesn't need heavy lighting its a very intresting plant :)

I am planning on adding some java moss. I guess I might add some of that and then and then wait until I get the bulbs and root tabs to get some other plants.

Java ferns (lace and regular) and Anubias are wonderful. They like to be strapped to dw and rocks, they have a rhizome that should be above the substrate. I have some and I love them, just use fishing line or thin cotton thread to attach, then they'll eventually grow into it.

Java moss is pretty good if you don't have a lot of light, they did well for me in low-medium light, but grew out of control when I went to high light. Anubias and Java Ferns are good too, just don't bury the rhyzomes. They do better attached to something like rocks or driftwood. I've also had some smaller low light crypts as well. They are like regular plants where you bury the roots in the gravel. And root tabs help as well.

As long as you have root tabs and ferts (lots of people use the seachem line) your plants should be relatively fine. And a cheaper light set up is getting some sort of full-spectrum bulb that's 6500 K and a combined 60 watts (depending on if you need two bulbs or one). You don't new the whole expensive setup, but from advice I've been given unless you have full-spectrum you can't really grow anything.
If you're worried about your bio wheel taking out co2 (I can't say whether it does or doesn't, sorry) you can use a liquid co2 supplement. I use API brand, but you can research others as well. I know there's seachem, and another line I can't remember (glut-sometgingorother).
I've been looking around, and I'm having trouble finding any bulbs that will fit my current fixture that have 60 watts(or close to it). I believe the fixture holds a 30" bulbs. It's for a 29g and has a standard hood.

I've been looking around, and I'm having trouble finding any bulbs that will fit my current fixture that have 60 watts(or close to it). I believe the fixture holds a 30" bulbs. It's for a 29g and has a standard hood.

Maybe take one of your current bulbs with you and ask the people there? Otherwise I'm not sure....some of the chain lfs have 'aquarium lights' maybe you could look at the wattage and kelvin rating on those.

Just as an option, my tank doesn't have a hood or canopy and is open top. I have all live plants, and mine are doing great. My lighting consists of (as of now, will end up needing atleast one more) 2 clip on lamps using daylight 6500k cfl's; all bought from Walmart (so far I only have about $30 in my lights). If you get any kind of sword or crypt you will need root tabs as they are heavy root feeders. But if your tank has a hood, GE makes an 2 pin bulb that would go in an aquarium good fixture (you would have to check the length to be sure it would work for you) and it's pretty cheap at Walmart; it says it's for aquariums and growing plants on the packaging.

Just as an option, my tank doesn't have a hood or canopy and is open top. I have all live plants, and mine are doing great. My lighting consists of (as of now, will end up needing atleast one more) 2 clip on lamps using daylight 6500k cfl's; all bought from Walmart (so far I only have about $30 in my lights). If you get any kind of sword or crypt you will need root tabs as they are heavy root feeders. But if your tank has a hood, GE makes an 2 pin bulb that would go in an aquarium good fixture (you would have to check the length to be sure it would work for you) and it's pretty cheap at Walmart; it says it's for aquariums and growing plants on the packaging.
Just curious, what is GE?

Back
Top Bottom