Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2005, 02:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are these plants?

The one on the right is almost certainly anacharis, or that is what is shown on the web sites I looked it up in. The one on the left is very different as the leaves are greener, tighter together and have a red vein running down the middle.

Can anyone tell me what they are for sure?

Old 03-30-2005, 03:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are a few different species of anacharis...aka elodea. They look similar to each other with a few small differences. One may have denser or thicker leaves. I don't see any difference in the photo. The more vivid color could be influenced by too many other factors to use as an ID description for any plant.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 03:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry, the middle plants is the one in question. The left and right ones look the same. You could be right though, maybe just a different species of the same. Either way, the middle one is growing 10 times faster than the others. Will have to watch for that specific one.

Thanks TCT, when it comes to plants all I really know is how to grow them. :P
Old 03-30-2005, 03:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Better Picture

Here is a little better picture. It may or not help as they might be the same species but figured it couldn't hurt. BTW, the plant on the left was 4 inches from the top 3 days ago and now is starting to curl on the top. This is my idea of a fast growing plant!
Old 03-30-2005, 05:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

The one with the longer thinner leaves could be Egeria najas while the other could be Egeria densa which is the more common variety.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Either one...the common name in the book I have is water pest...LOL!! So much for being a fast growing plant.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The one on the left looks a lot like Lagariosiphon major---it is considered a noxious weed in the US. Here is a website for your info.

http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/seagrant/lagmaj2.html
Old 03-31-2005, 12:55 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Really close but not quite. The one on the web site actually looks a lot like the one I pull up in masses from my local trout lake every time I drop anchor. Maybe I should go out and pull about 20 pounds and sell them, might finance my aquarium hobby.

As for being a weed, I'll bet most of them are weeds as nothing that we really want in the local water grows any where near as fast!

Tags
plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com