What are these plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
The one on the right is almost certainly anacharis, or that is what is shown on the web sites I looked it up in. The one on the left is very different as the leaves are greener, tighter together and have a red vein running down the middle.

Can anyone tell me what they are for sure?

There are a few different species of anacharis...aka elodea. They look similar to each other with a few small differences. One may have denser or thicker leaves. I don't see any difference in the photo. The more vivid color could be influenced by too many other factors to use as an ID description for any plant.

Sorry, the middle plants is the one in question. The left and right ones look the same. You could be right though, maybe just a different species of the same. Either way, the middle one is growing 10 times faster than the others. Will have to watch for that specific one.

Thanks TCT, when it comes to plants all I really know is how to grow them. :p

Better Picture

Here is a little better picture. It may or not help as they might be the same species but figured it couldn't hurt. BTW, the plant on the left was 4 inches from the top 3 days ago and now is starting to curl on the top. This is my idea of a fast growing plant!

The one with the longer thinner leaves could be Egeria najas while the other could be Egeria densa which is the more common variety.

Really close but not quite. The one on the web site actually looks a lot like the one I pull up in masses from my local trout lake every time I drop anchor. Maybe I should go out and pull about 20 pounds and sell them, might finance my aquarium hobby. :idea:

As for being a weed, I'll bet most of them are weeds as nothing that we really want in the local water grows any where near as fast!

Back
Top Bottom