What causes these holes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

owen0992

Aquarium Advice Freak
So in my tank I have some crypts that do pretty well. But ona few leaves holes will begin to develop until the leaf is just gone. I don't know what could cause this to happen. The newer, bigger leaves grow faster than I lose leaves buti still want to get control of it.

When there are holes in plants, it NORMALLY means that they need potassium. Try adding some fertilizer with potassium like Seachem flourish or API leaf zone. Both can be found at a lfs

Had to download the app to get the pictures on here. I have some leaf zone. I'll start dosing tomorrow. So it would be potassium if it's only really happening on a plant or two? All the other plants are doing well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1403504814159.jpg
    1403504814159.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 1403504827831.jpg
    1403504827831.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 113
I notice you have shrimp. My shrimp would devour some of my plants. It happens

Figured I'd throw in a full tank pic

Attachments

• 1403505018416.jpg
    1403505018416.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 1403505049954.jpg
    1403505049954.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 110
The shrimp lay off my plants. They are well fed with their algae wafers.

Their diet cannot only consist of wafers. Once in awhile, they will eat some veggies like plants

Shrimp don't eat healthy plants. They may eat dead or decaying leaves.

Do you have Root Tabs for your Crypts ? They are heavy root feeders.

My Shrimp get a variety of foods. Their favorite is Rapashy Gel foods.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The root tabs won't cause any problem with the shrimp?

Shrimp should be fine with root tabs. Just be sure to push them into the substrate.
I find that the RCS I have will occasionally dine on old crypt leaves as they disintegrate. Otherwise, they get a couple different types of algae pellets and some blanched veggies.
I skipped adding root tabs/pellets for a while and noticed holes in a few of the leaves of some crypt wendtii, even the new leaves. Within a week or two after adding them I noticed some new growth. Feed those crypts.

Thank you guys. Pretty sure I have some root tabs lying around somewhere. I'll hunt them down after work and get them in.

Plant Damage

So in my tank I have some crypts that do pretty well. But ona few leaves holes will begin to develop until the leaf is just gone. I don't know what could cause this to happen. The newer, bigger leaves grow faster than I lose leaves buti still want to get control of it.

Hello owen...

Tank problems are generally water related. If your water chemistry isn't stable your fish and plants can be affected. If you don't perform regular water changes of half the tank's volume, you're not maintaining healthy mineral levels for the plants. Then, there's always the question of lighting. Is the lighting right for the plants you've chosen?

Even nonaggressive fish and snails can damage plants when they rasp the the algae from the plant leaves and if you don't have a good stock of fish in the tank, there can be nutrient loss.

I would start following an aggressive water change routine. Purifying the tank water should improve the health of your plants.

B

I use Root Tabs in my tank with RCS and SS Grade CRS. No issues with my Shrimp at all. Just make sure the Root Tabs are pushed well into substrate. They don't have to be under Crypts, just near them. Each Tab will cover a decent area.

Weekly water changes are important, but I'm betting this is a Fert imbalance.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 to it being fertilizer related.
Somebody mentioned potassium, and I'd agree with that as well. Flourish also makes a stand alone Potassium fertilizer.

Trim out the affected leaves. They are a lost cause and the plant is wasting energy trying to keep it alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Crypt rot? (Whatever it's called)... Assuming it's a newly bought crypt, it sometimes happens when you transport them o.o

I think youre thinking of Crypt Melt (although it happens to plants besides Crypts). Melt looks like the plant is, well... melting.

Thank you all for your replies. I am hoping it's just a fert imbalance. Which now that I think about it is probably what it is. I have some flourish excel lying around. I just got lazy and stopped dosing it every time I did a water change when I got back from school for the summer. I'll begin the dosing campaign and run to petco for some tabs tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it goes in a few weeks.

Excel is a daily dose for the carbon requirements. Flourish is a once or twice weekly thing. Potassium was mentioned, but doesn't a deficiency in magnesium also cause something similar? There should be enough of the right nutrients in Seachem Flourish, and root tabs would definitely help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom