What cfl bulbs for 20 gallon high aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dannydgk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

So i have a 20 gallon high tank and I would like to have the ability to grow medium light plants. So I am wondering what CFL bulbs I should use in order to achieve this. I am using a DIY hood shaped like \_/ that I outfitted with 3 sockets (horizontally) for use with CFLs. The reflector I am using is just aluminum foil. I have also installed 2 fans, one blowing air in and one blowing air out so the heat of the bulbs will not be a problem. I have read in forums that the best temperature for growing plants is 6500k and I have access to either 13 watt or 23 watt CFLs that match that color temperature. So I am wondering if anyone here has a planted 20 gallon high tank with CFL bulbs that can tell me what is working for them and their plants.

I actually currently have 13 watt cfl bulbs installed and I am getting green algae growing on the sides of the tank and on the gravel. This did not happen before with the stock strip light. Does this mean I should have enough light for medium plants? will the algae get worse if I use 23 watt bulbs?

Thanks.

Not a 20 gallon high but I found "reveal" bulbs at Target that are approx 6500k, either 13 or 23 watt, and not so wide they don't fit in a typical hood. The plants under them went bonkers.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

How long are you leaving lights on ?

Reduce to 6hrs daily and keep up water changes and don't overfeed. This will help reduce Algae. Test your water as well.

Algae means something is out of balance.

Soft Brown Algae may just be harmless diatoms.

Put a timer on your lights.

Last edited:
I agree with coursair. Cut down your photoperiod, dose excel and make sure you dose enough fertilizer for the plants.

Over a 20 H two 23 watt CFLs should give you medium light. Thats just my opinion.

Two 23w would probably give a great amount of light. I have four on my 65g tall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom