What crypt is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got these colorful red crypts at my local fish store today. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400900702.564784.jpg Can anyone tell what type they are? What are their care requirements? I love their red coloration.

They look like Crypt wendtii "red." They are pretty undemanding plants, not needing very strong light or much fertilization. They are heavy root feeders, so they do appreciate root tabs.

They look like Crypt wendtii "red." They are pretty undemanding plants, not needing very strong light or much fertilization. They are heavy root feeders, so they do appreciate root tabs.

Thanks! I do have some Crypt Wendtii "red" that are from the tissue cultured gel packs, and they look nothing like what is in the picture. Odd

That's because the tissue culture was grown emersed most likley.

Well it looks like I'll be replacing the tissue cultured version, and I'll probably get a pot of Crypt Wendtii "red" off of Peabody's. I hate how the tissue cultured plant doesn't have the crinkled leaf appearance.

Well it looks like I'll be replacing the tissue cultured version, and I'll probably get a pot of Crypt Wendtii "red" off of Peabody's. I hate how the tissue cultured plant doesn't have the crinkled leaf appearance.

No need to replace it, the plants will eventually transition to their underwater environment and look like regular crypt wendtii. Honestly, those petsmart gel packs are a pretty good deal, tons of little plants in a cheap pack - once they are grown, they are worth way more than what you bought it for. Just takes some time.

The tissue culture ones should put up more colorful leaves in time, just give them a while. I was looking at our wendtii red pots today and they are also mostly green because they are kept emersed as well.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

No need to replace it, the plants will eventually transition to their underwater environment and look like regular crypt wendtii. Honestly, those petsmart gel packs are a pretty good deal, tons of little plants in a cheap pack - once they are grown, they are worth way more than what you bought it for. Just takes some time.

Sounds good. You can probably tell that I'm new to tissue cultured aquarium plants. They are very cool though. Although, Petsmart ripped me off with some Narrow Leaf Java Fern. When I took it out of the gel pack, it just fell apart. Luckily, there were some baby plants on the leaves, so I let them float in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom