What defines "heavily-planted"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batt4Christ

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So- at what point does a planted tank cross into "heavily planted?

Does this qualify?

Batt4Christ said:

Does this qualify?

It's all based on the discretion of the aquarist. I'd say yes that it but it's pretty much up to you! :)

Batt4Christ said:

Does this qualify?

Great question!! Does this look moderatly?

Thats a lot more plants than I have! I only have the floor covered in dwarf baby years with some hairgrass along the back and two slanted rocks in the left corner. Sorry no pics.

I define heavily planted as having enough plants to create shade within the tank itself.

Yes your tank is what I'd consider heavily planted Batt.

I consider a tank heavily planted when it is basically full of plants. If the substrate has more plants than not, then it's heavily planted to me.

Gboy I'd consider yours lightly/moderately planted.

jetajockey said:
Gboy I'd consider yours lightly/moderately planted.

Batt yours is definitly heavily planted. You have a forest/fish tank there!

Thanks jeta!

I like to think about it like this:

In relation to the aquascape as a whole, if the plants can be considered a 'garnish', that the tank is lightly planed. If the plants are a main theme but not necessarily the primary focus, then I would consider it moderately planted. If the plants are the main or major theme of the tank, I call it heavily planted.

Subject to interpretation, of course.

My wisteria and red tiger lotus is makeing shade and covering my plants is that ok or should I trim them? In the pic it looks like it doesnt have shade but it really does.

012012214647.jpg

Back
Top Bottom