What do I do with this stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, I went to get fish and caved in and bought a few plants (becuase im a hands on learner) and I got some plant chemical things along with my tank and i don't know if I need to use them or not. I say this because the guy also had other chemical things to get rid of ick, cloudy water, algae etc and I know you don't need those

So anyways these are the chemicals I have-
Tropica Master grow "fertilizer for aquarium plants"
Flora APM- Advanced Plant Management
Seachem-
Nitrogen Supplement
Phosphorus Supplement
Potassium Supplement
Comprehensive Plan Supplement

The supplements make sense to use but the other 2 seem like extra stuff I might not need. Also, with the supplements it says to use once or twice a week- is this true?

Also, the plants I bought were moneywort, Anacharis, and this one that looks like pine leaves and started with a "c" I meant to write it down but forgot to, and I looked it up and can't find it

I also turned on my CO2 to about a bubble a sec

Yah.. other than buying plants before I was absolutely knowledgable on the plant growing subject- am i doing anything wrong? =o)

Coontail? Cabomba? Good stuff!

I'm sure certain additions help under certain circumstances (I'm not sure which additions or circumstances though, I do not use any special chemicals with my plants).

Tropica Master Grow is a wonderful fert - but it really depends on how much light you have and what is already in your tap water. You are stocked very lightly right now, so measure phosphate and nitrate to start. If you are running CO2 you'll need to know your KH and pH to keep close tabs on your CO2 concentration.

Malkore will step in here but the Tropica should cover most of what you need.

well i thought the substrate I have has fertilizer in it

im using Eco Complete

oh, and my CO2 ran out tonight! ugh

So im going to go refill that this weekend

The eco-complete is great for root feeders but plants still take up nutrients from the water column. I wouldn't dose nitrogen without knowing what the nitrates in your tank are. I try and maitain them around 10ppm.

I need malkore here too because I'm wondering if it's possible to over dose on the K. I don't think so. And as for phosphates........careful, that can contribute to algae growth. Go slowly with the ferts Katy :wink:

Wow! I'm in such demand! ;)

The chemicals:
Tropica Master grow "fertilizer for aquarium plants"
Flora APM- Advanced Plant Management

Seachem-
Nitrogen Supplement
Phosphorus Supplement
Potassium Supplement
Comprehensive Plan Supplement

SeaChem Comp. PLant Supp. is the same as your Tropica master grow. So put one in the closet, and stick to dosing 1 product until it's gone..then use up the other bottle (or return the extra if it hasn't been opened yet).
And Flora APM appears to be some kind of algacide...so I wouldn't use it...ever. (return for credit)

So that leaves us with Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium, and a comprehensive mix. Not a bad start, as the SeaChem line is quality stuff...but a little on the weak side for a large, high light tank like my 75. But they are still great for beginners.

You can actually overdose potassium, but its negative side effect is causing calcium uptake problems...not algae. 20ppm is the most potassium you should need...but I feel that anywhere from 10-15ppm is plenty.

But, the big question here is: light levels? I see you're injecting CO2...so I'm assuming that means you've got at least 2 watts per gallon. However, what size is the tank?

Basically, treat your comprehensive fert as a trace...and since you don't have SeaChem Iron, your comp. fert will be your only source of iron. Dose it per the label instructions at first. After a few weeks, try increasing the dose a little. When you see green spot algae on the glass, you've crossed the threshold and should tone back the dosing.

Also, Eco complete, by itself, isn't a fertilized plant substrate. What it DOES do is hold nutrients (from decayed fish waste) in the substrate for the plant roots to easily access and feed.

I have a 75gal with a 250 watt light bulb

And like I said my c02 ran out last nite (he said there was prolly a good 6 months left- grr) so I will fill that up ASAP

I have a pretty big pleco- will he help keep down the algae down by any chance?

I will start slow at first, test my waters and do appropriate dosing -get my feet wet and ask more questions =o)

thanks guys =o)

So a single 250watt metal halide? that's only gonna light half the tank.
the pleco will help with algae, but mainly on the glass. pleco's tend to destroy plants if they try to munch algae off them.

And like I said my c02 ran out last nite (he said there was prolly a good 6 months left- grr) so I will fill that up ASAP

Check for leaks!!!

I had a devil of a time with my first pressurized setup. I wasted 2 tanks of co2 cuz I couldn't find the leak(s).
Once I figured out how to properly tighten the regulator, and ALL tubing joints, I've been leak free.

Back
Top Bottom