What do I need to start a planted nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seanbugeja

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone. I'm interested in starting a 50litre nano planted tank. Can anyone advise me what I need?

I'm not new to the hobby. Currently have a thriving 230 litre tank with co2 injection and dosing the ei method.

My question is would I need to inject co2 into the aquarium or would liquid ferts be enough.

Thanks ?

Hello seanbugeja!

No need for CO2 if you want a low tech tank.

(FYI all gallons users) Your tank is US appx 13G

Plenty of people go for the high tech approach and of course there has always been the low tech option.

Most of my tanks are nanos running 5G - 12G (~19.5L- 45.25L). Never used CO2 yet (maybe sometime in the future).

It really depends on what style of tank you are going for and what you want to keep in it.

Is this tank one you have a specific occupant in mind? Or this would be a focus on a great aquascape more than the fish or shrimp?

Hello seanbugeja!

No need for CO2 if you want a low tech tank.

(FYI all gallons users) Your tank is US appx 13G

Plenty of people go for the high tech approach and of course there has always been the low tech option.

Most of my tanks are nanos running 5G - 12G (~19.5L- 45.25L). Never used CO2 yet (maybe sometime in the future).

It really depends on what style of tank you are going for and what you want to keep in it.

Is this tank one you have a specific occupant in mind? Or this would be a focus on a great aquascape more than the fish or shrimp?
Nope will gladly leave it void of fish. Just want a beautiful aquascape. Thanks

So with that often comes the CO2.

Do you have any inspiration pics for the feel of what you are wanting?

Or favorite hardscape, wood and favorite plants you would like to build the tank around?

Some bacopa, cryptocoryne anubias on drift wood. Of course would want a carpet ??

Wow that's beautiful.... Probably I'll go for hair grass or something easier to start with

I have had good success most of the time with the DHG from the tissue culture tent bags, like this
60074-albums12102-picture54834.jpg

Though I have always been an admirer of Utricularia Graminifolia. (Never a grower of it though! I might try as a paludarium plant.)

Did you get to thinking out which substrate, any front runners?

I will, wishing you the most and best luck in working with soil.

I am not a fan of the soil overall since it can be so messy. Tried once and was not happy with my own results. Have seen plenty of great looking dirted tanks though.

Back
Top Bottom