What does yellow bacopa mean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been noticing lately that my bacopa caroliniana is lookiny slightly yellow and my various swords are brownish. My water wysteria I didn't think would make it is now about a foot tall and green as can be. It's all in a 29g under a M57 metal halide (175 watt) 4100K mounted 8 inches above the tank (to the arc) which is lit about 6 hours a day. What does this mean I need to green everything up?

Iron deficiency?

Usually swords don't care about water parameters as they take nutrients from the substrate more. Any co2/light changes?

I didn't think I could run out of iron as my water source is thick in iron. Still, I'm started back with API Leaf Zone at water changes and Flourish micros when I think about it. Also, I'm planted in sand with soil under, and 6-12-6 root tabs (with micros) I freshened yesterday evening. 15 mL glut every other day does my carbon.

I also recently had an algae bloom so I had my photoperiod short (3 hours) for awhile. I've had it at 6 hours for two weeks though, and noticed the yellowing a couple days ago. I'm working my way back to a 16 hour photoperiod.

The yellow color of the B. caroliniana may be due to too much light. I noticed something similar in a temporary I had set up. It had a pair of 13w CFLs that were set just above the tank and the Bacopa stems near the surface would turn very light green to yellow. In my planted tank the stems near the surface are large, wrinkly, and yellow. That tank has a Finnex FugeRay and Planted+ on separate timers with a 3 hour overlap. I think the high light is bleaching the plant.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Idk about the swords. They appear to be well fed and have adequate lighting.
The only swords I've kept were broadleaf chain swords and it was under different lights (less light). New growth was light green and old growth was dark green. Eventually had to remove the plant altogether because of its rapid and invasive growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok. I've had these the longest. ...though most of them are actually cryptocornes, though I can't tell much difference. I would rather them be more of a green tint though. I'm also working on some scarlet temple. How fast is it supposed to grow? It seems to be growing very slowly.

Back
Top Bottom