What fertilizer do i need for these plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BDawg90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a compacta and a amazon sword for my 10 gallon tank, what kind of fertilizer do I need?

the sword will need root tabs. It will also outgrow a 10g tank. As far as using ferts in the water column, it may or may not be needed. You don't want to use them unless you see signs of an inbalance, as they cause more problems than they do good when used uneccessarily.

You don't want to use them unless you see signs of an inbalance, as they cause more problems than they do good when used uneccessarily.

yes!

As we discussed yesterday, just dumping in ferts is not a good idea. Excess nutrients can be far worse than a lack of nutrients in some cases.

neilanh said:
How much lighting do you have on the tank?

I have one 6500k/10watt cfl bulb and another cfl bulb but it doesn't have a k rating

mfdrookie516 said:
the sword will need root tabs. It will also outgrow a 10g tank. As far as using ferts in the water column, it may or may not be needed. You don't want to use them unless you see signs of an inbalance, as they cause more problems than they do good when used uneccessarily.

What would be some signs of an imbalance?

Nutrient Deficiency

That link will show you common signs of deficiencies.

With your light, I highly doubt fertilizers will do anything positive for your tank. They just aren't needed in a lot of low light setups.

Alright thank you. So don't need fertilizer even for the amazon sword? I have a bigger tank that I put on putting it in when it gets bigger but for the mean time

Root tabs under the sword would be good. No other liquid fert will probably be required with your lighting.

Alright, what about if I put like some anacharis or wisteria in?

Anacharis feeds from the water column, so you don't have to worry about it receiving nutrients from the roots. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom