What filter media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devon6209

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a fluval 306 and a 60gallon tank that is planted. I have this filter media:
2 carbon bags
3 fluval clearmax(traps phosphates, nitrates, and nitrites)
1 ammonia remover bag

What combination should I use these in my chemical stage? The basket can hold about 4 bags

Most off the people here just use sponge and bio rings. Carbon will only last a month and is more fr removing meds from ur tank.

What Filter media?

I have a fluval 306 and a 60gallon tank that is planted. I have this filter media:
2 carbon bags
1 ammonia remover bag

What combination should I use these in my chemical stage? The basket can hold about 4 bags

Hello Devon...

I just use two types of media. The ammonia bag (mechanical) and the polyfiber (biological). The importance of the carbon (chemical) is overemphasized and isn't really needed of you follow an aggressive water change routine.

Large, weekly water changes (50 percent or more) remove a lot more dissolved substances than carbon can. Don't get me wrong, it's not a mistake to use it, but don't rely on it to keep the tank water pure. Only large, frequent water changes can do that.

Just a thought.

B

Devon6209 said:
2 carbon bags
1 ammonia remover bag

IMO...

Save the carbon for possible future medication removal.

I wouldn't use the clearmax or ammonia stuff. There is no need for it as if you have a high concentration of these toxins then there is a larger issue to deal with such as over feeding or a tank that is not properly cycled.

Stick with sponges, filter floss and ceramic rings.

Reactions: HN1
I agree with Blert. I'd use the additional area to add floss or bio media.

Back
Top Bottom