what fish is doing this to my HC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to list off the kinds of fish I have:
Anglefish
Neon tetra
Kerri tetras
GBR
SA
Glofish
Haliquin rasbora
Rosy barb
Gerdneri killifish
Amano shrimp
Horned nerite snails
Silver hatchet fish

Which fish is ripping up my HC? I think it is the rossy barbs. Or does hc just grow like that?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110628_181109.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110628_181109.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 220
  • ForumRunner_20110628_181149.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110628_181149.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 210
I could see the angels or the barbs picking at it. It can take a while to root and it just might be that as well.

Agreed with Rich. Once it gets rooted well, it won't be a problem... but in the mean time you may just have to deal with it. Once it roots, it is like pulling hair out to get it up :)

i recently saw one of my moms angels picking at the java moss in her tank,could be the angel.

Thanks for all the quick input! Now that I think about it I have also seen my anglefish pick at the hc. How long will it take for it to root? It has already been in there for like a month

2-3 months is a good bet. It is not a particularly fast grower... and it takes time to become established and accustomed to your tank.

Amanos also like to mess up HC. They don't really eat it as much as rip it out while they're trying to eat stuff off it.

Crepe said:
Amanos also like to mess up HC. They don't really eat it as much as rip it out while they're trying to eat stuff off it.

I have not thought of that! But I never see my amanos on my hc, the amanos are always hiding, in fact I maybe see my amanos once a month. Is that normal?

fishfanatic said:
I have not thought of that! But I never see my amanos on my hc, the amanos are always hiding, in fact I maybe see my amanos once a month. Is that normal?

I hardly ever see mine either, but when they do pop out they are foraging like crazy, and are a good time to watch ;)
I do see mine about once a day or every two days though...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have amanos in my 2gallon desktop, and the industrious little guys have been pulling up tons of HC... sigh!

Shadey said:
I have amanos in my 2gallon desktop, and the industrious little guys have been pulling up tons of HC... sigh!

Lol... I am sorry

mr.waffles1842 said:
tank size?

I dont really understand why you want to know my tank size, but it is 40 gallons

Last edited:
Barbs are notorious for destroying HC, the will mow it down to nothing if they get the chance just about every forum I am a member of has 2-3 threads about the same problem. I love my HC therefore I will never own Barbs.

Back
Top Bottom