What Fixture to Get? Help me out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrazyBenBOMB

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I have a 5G heavily planted tank. About medium lighting. I have 2x 15W CFL 6500K bulbs over it. It's a custom fixture I made myself.

Now after having a small planted tank, I want to create a large planted tank. I have a 55G that is currently being used as a convict breeder. I want to plant the tank with them in there. I know i'll have to watch for them uprooting ect. I just want to plant the tank. I might eventually get rid of them since they are being horrible parents and eating their young.

The point of the story is that I need a light fixture for my 55G. I want medium light, no lower, maybe a little higher.

What do you suggest for a fixture to buy? Like I said, I want medium light, something cheap, it's a 55G tank.

A link would be appreciated, also a fast response would also be appreciated. Thank you :D

Medium light and cheap? Might want to look into the "shop lights" that you can get at Home Depot or Lowes. You know, the 4 ft ones that are like $15 or so. Then you'd just need to figure out how to mount it or hang it. Should be simple though and it should give you a decent amount of light.

Thanks Bryan. I was looking at fixtures that would suit about 2wpg and that were costing me over 100$ so I wanted to find something cheaper. I think it would be cool to have a light fixture hanging from the ceiling over my tank.

Thanks for the idea, i'll deff look into getting one of those shop lights at home depot or lowes.

That is what I use. Get a T8 shoplight with an electronic ballast, and either hang it from the ceiling or mount it inside a homemade canopy. A single shoplight ($15) will give you 2*32W but equal to ~80W T12 NO lights, that is about 1.5 WPG.

You can use 2 of those to get to 3 WPG. If you get ones with electronic ballast, you can run just 3 lights to get at 2 WPG ish. <Because shoplights don't have as good reflectors as the "real" fixtures, running 3 WPG (4 lamps) will prob. still put you in medium light, without need for CO2.>

Another, slightly pricier alternative would be a PC retrofit kit. You can get a 96W PC retrofit kit at AH supply for $60, although you would need to build an enclosure for the light.
96 Watt Bright Kits

That is what I use. Get a T8 shoplight with an electronic ballast, and either hang it from the ceiling or mount it inside a homemade canopy. A single shoplight ($15) will give you 2*32W but equal to ~80W T12 NO lights, that is about 1.5 WPG.

You can use 2 of those to get to 3 WPG. If you get ones with electronic ballast, you can run just 3 lights to get at 2 WPG ish. <Because shoplights don't have as good reflectors as the "real" fixtures, running 3 WPG (4 lamps) will prob. still put you in medium light, without need for CO2.>

Another, slightly pricier alternative would be a PC retrofit kit. You can get a 96W PC retrofit kit at AH supply for $60, although you would need to build an enclosure for the light.
96 Watt Bright Kits

I will most likely get a shop light and hang it from the ceiling. I would add my own reflectors aswell, I did in my other homemade fixture which is really helps it out.

I will be adding diy co2 like my other medium light aquarium. I'm going to try to find a light that I can get a straight like 110W-130W

Back
Top Bottom