What is a Great Light For Growing Medium to High Plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HookedOnFishh

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I am looking for a great led light for growing medium high plants. What are your recommendations for a great light? I'm thinking about setting up another planted tank and need some ideas. Thank you if you respond!

Im looking for lights for a 10 and 20high....i was watching a review on you tube where a guy compared an ebay off brand (Beamswork) vs. Marineland by measuring PAR.
Turns out the cheap one had a higher PAR.

https://youtu.be/XeS6aa91uXY

Did it say what sort of light colour? Blue lights on reef leds may give higher PAR and would definitely give higher par at depth as blue penetrates water better, but may not be ideal for growing plants.

I run mainly white lights and red light on mine for high PAR planted tank. There is enough blue in the white light. If the cheap light is all looking good there then thumbs up, just thought to mention in case.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Aquarium_Lighting.html

I skimmed through the video and must have missed the PAR readings. What were the readings at specific depths (3",6",9",12",18",24")?
I did catch the part where the reviewer mentioned that the products being reviewed were ideal for non-planted tanks.
IME I would go with the Finnex Planted+ or Finnex Planted 24/7. For the 29g I believe the planted+ would be low medium light at best. The 24/7 at max settings should be in the middle of medium at that depth (18").

I skimmed through the video and must have missed the PAR readings. What were the readings at specific depths (3",6",9",12",18",24")?
I did catch the part where the reviewer mentioned that the products being reviewed were ideal for non-planted tanks.
IME I would go with the Finnex Planted+ or Finnex Planted 24/7. For the 29g I believe the planted+ would be low medium light at best. The 24/7 at max settings should be in the middle of medium at that depth (18").

Ok thank you any other suggestions? My other choice for a tank would be a 72 bowfront

Ok thank you any other suggestions? My other choice for a tank would be a 72 bowfront

I thought the (correct) video was quite informative. So true about light bleed. Based on the PAR values, I'm so glad I have a shallow tank.
I only have experience with Finnex models (FugeRay, Planted+, 24/7).
A 72g is deep; I cannot imagine being able to provide medium or higher light without shelling out some bucks. Even the $40 LED shop light registered at the high end of low lighting at 27 PAR. It may take a combo of a pair of fixtures such as a Finnex Ray2 and a 24/7 to get you there.

Im just going to surround my tank in aluminum foil and take the air stone out, snails only...and a plastic fish= baby tear heaven

@Frash20

Just making fun of the hibbie in general.

I have a 10gal that i use as a grow room/QT and its always a gas to me how it goes ...

Get higher lights ...oh now ya have to get Co2 cuz of the lights, oh now ya need ferts cuz the Co2 softened the water.
...all the while the fish think their very slowly assending to some celestial place because of the rise in lighting and lower O2 hahaha

With plants it's a balance between lights, ferts, and CO2. Think of light being the gas pedal for the other two. Less light, less need for CO2 and ferts.
One or two desk lamps or clamp on lamps with inexpensive twisted 13w or 23w 6700k CFLs will produce a good deal of light. Carbon can come from Excel or DIY CO2. And ferts for a tank that size won't break the bank.

Ya i know its just funny cuz at the same time you can really good co2 surface transition as well if the "open top" aquarium went out of style again (co2 being heavier than o2)

Lol - high tech planted tanks...

How deep is a 72 bowfront out of interest?

My catfish initially thought the light was extremely bright and started wearing shades / hanging under the driftwood.

My tank is 2.5ft deep and I have a quad t5ho (2 x 10,000k and 2 x red bulbs) with a decent planted tank LED light that I run at about 3/4 power. If you get LED I find getting a dimmable one to be good value.

One mine I started with no blue bank of lights (it's not truly ideal for plants this LED light) and run the white bank of lights 100%. I run the blue bank of lights now at 50% and should really drop it a tad as getting more GSA on glass at depth.

Thank you! So finnex lights or maybe an elive lighting it's on my 29 and my plants are lovin it?

So any more lighting suggestions?

Thank you! So finnex lights or maybe an elive lighting it's on my 29 and my plants are lovin it?

So any more lighting suggestions?

Go with finnex everyone uses them and haven't heard a bad thing about them

Besides that price tag

That's standard for a quality fixture. I went with custom made LEDs with an auto dimmer and timer and that was close to $450 . It's the old story u get what u pay for. Buy quality to begin with and you won't have to replace it for years.

Back
Top Bottom