What is a low tech tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mama Karoti

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just browsing the beautiful low tech tank photos in another thread. Was just wondering what exactly is a low tech tank?

The main difference between a low tech and high tech planted tank is pressurized CO2. There are other pieces of equipment that can be grouped in as well but that's the primary one.

Low tech tanks use either Glut or DIY co2 as a carbon source.

Low to medium light intensity, no CO2 or just dosing Excel or Glut liquid carbon, using a ready made macro & micro ferts and root tabs. Plants with low/medium difficulty rating and light requirments. Low tech tanks can indeed be just as stunning as a high tech tank. OS.

Ok. I guess I have a low tech tank. Lol. Thanks for the explanations!

Low Tech Tanks

I was just browsing the beautiful low tech tank photos in another thread. Was just wondering what exactly is a low tech tank?

Hello Ma...

I consider my tanks low tech. It just means nothing fancy. The substrate is pea-sized gravel, instead of a more complex commercial substrate that contains nutrients. The lights are florescent from the local hardware store instead of high output or LED lighting, standard hang on the back filter, instead of pricier canister filtration equipment and no fertilizers other than what's produced by the fish, instead of what's referred to as EI dosing or high end CO2 systems. I guess all this would be the difference. Attached is a pic.

B

img_2952502_0_a114b5a4a66b82c6de06951d42d49fbe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom