What is consider high light, medium light, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsilvers

Aquarium Advice Regular
We have a 65 watt light comprised of two bulbs of different color. That mimics a proper light spectrum. But for a 20 gallon, at 3.25 watts per gallon, is that considered high light, medium light? We leave the light on for about 6 hours a day. No longer as some of the more delicate plants we had didn't take well to that. Right now we have...Anubias Nana, Purple Waffle and two things I don't know the name of...but that seem happy. Oh, we have one small coffeefolia that is striving to grow LOL We planted A LOT of different plants initially, but most were eaten by the Mollies. They thought it was a buffet. For the most part, they stay away from what is there now. I do see some nibbles on the purple waffle, but oh well. We also do a CO2 ampule once a month. Oh, and we have Eco Complete substrate which is great. Dark, with layers and the color on our fish has greatly improved since we put it in!

at 3.25 watts per gallon, is that considered high light, medium light?

That's medium (according to the plant experts), but I'd try some high light plants if you want, they may grow for you. I have over 4wpg on 1 tank, less than 2wpg on another, and am surprised at how many plants i can grow in the "low light" tank.
We leave the light on for about 6 hours a day.

Way too short IMO, if your plants were suffering, there must have been another reason. most plants come from tropical/subtropical areas, and need around 10 hours a day.

We also do a CO2 ampule once a month
Not familiar with that product, what is it?.
I have high pressure co2 on one tank, DIY yeast co2 on others.

Any fertilization? supplemental trace elements?

Only 6 hours? I don't think that's enough light (unless you have direct sunlight part of the day?). http://www.aquaplant.org is the most comprehensive site I have seen for plant care, it also includes a table that calculates how much light your tank gets.

Well, initially, the lights were on for about 12 hours, and I think that was too much. Now they are on for about 7 hours, honestly. We used to put them on when we woke up...around 6:30am, and then off when I got home, again, around 6:30pm. I read that was too much time, 12 hours, and some plants looked unhappy, bit brown. So then we tried putting the lights on when my fiance leaves 1pm and then off after I get home, around 7pm. So what is a good amount of time you think? Eight hours? From like... 1-9pm. If we turn them on when we get up, it's just TOO many hours until I get home.

As for it being medium light, they seem happy, the ones we have. Some were from an original order of (low lights) before we got the better bulbs. They still seem ok.

CO2 ampules are just little plastic bottles of liquid CO2 that you put in the tank, they release over 2 days, last for about 20 days. You watch pH and the plants to see how they do. They get greener and we have a lot of new growth.

As for fertilization, not yet. We were told to take it slow, see how they do with lights, CO2, let the fish get used to the CO2, which shouldn't affect them, etc. And the Eco Complete substrate apparently has all the goodies in it, carbon, iron, etc. It has good bacteria and comes packed wet. You drain the bag and put the substrate in your tank. It naturally creates layers. So that's what we've been doing so far...

The one time I put "plant food" in for the plants, aquarium plant food that is, the tank got cloudy out of nowhere and it freaked me out. I did a water change and it was fine that afternoon. Our tanks are all clear and have barely any smell, etc. So I get nervous when something weird happens like that. So I have stayed away from fertilizing anything :)

One person at our pet store did suggest a plant supplement, liquid additive, but b/c we have substrate, he said to see how it goes first...

So far, the worst thing that's happened is the Mollies and their appetite for plants. They seemed to have eaten what they liked and left everything else. So we removed the eaten/decaying plants and reconfigured everything with some beautiful rocks.

I don't know alot about plants, but your method of turning on before you leave and being limited to those hours is easily solved. Buy a timer that will turn your lights on midway through the day and will turn off at night when you desire. Also don't you like to enjoy the light on your plants. It seems as though you only keep the light on when you aren't there? Maybe you don't like the light it gives off, but i love having all the lights on in the aquariums when i'm around, who cares if the lights are on when you aren't there, you can't enjoy them then. Depending on what time you go to bed have the timer turn on the lights about 8-10 hours before then. That way they'll turn on while you're at work, will be on throughout the evening then turn off before or soon after you go to bed.

-Dan

I LOVE the lights. But in my reading I found information that said that fish like regular light and dark cycles. So I try to keep things consistent. I think a timer would be a bit much as we are home enough to turn them on and off. Turning them off is ok...it's picking the right time to turn them on so they get enough light. I guess we will figure it out. It's more about finding the right amount of light that works for the plants.

I have a timer, only because I have so many other things to do with the tank it's just easier for me, and IMO the tropical fish and plants are happier with regular on/off times. I alternate between 10 and 8 hours of light, depending on the level of algae in the tank.

You want a timer to keep things on a very regular schedule. seriously. And I will repeat, most aq plants are tropical or sub-tropical and need at least 8 hours, some would rather 12, so many of us settle for 10 hours.
It's more about finding the right amount of light that works for the plants.

More complex than that. What you think is too much light, could easily be a nutrient deficiency or excess. I have to admit, its really hard to figure out sometimes.

So then perhaps the 12 hours we were doing weren't that bad?? It's at 3.25 watts per gallon right now. We have a 65 watt coral life hood light over a glass top. it has different colors to it. Hmmm...
So you think nutrient wise we should try a fertilizer? Let me put it to you this way. The 12 hour situation was VERY regular 6:30am to 6:30pm. The fish came to expect it I think. They are waiting for "sunrise" and food. LOL.
So we can still do that. And, the plants aren't floating to the top (which we later found to be the rosey barb's little joke...pulled them out and let them float). So...I guess we can try 12. Any suggestions on fertilizer??

Couple things here: I'd go 10 hours first, jumping right to 12 could cause an algae bloom. Also, if you get a timer, set it so you have some evening hours so you can enjoy your tank with the lights on!

Rosey barbs, hmmm... they may be plant munchers, avoid getting fine leaved bushy plants. Certain fish will cause problems in a planted tank, rosies are one of them.

Ferts. answered your PM!

I turn on the light at 11pm and off at 9am using timer offcourse, because I get home at 11pm everyday. That means the fishes "working" night shift...and sleep during the day...LOL. Is it ok for plants and fishes ?

I turn on the light at 11pm and off at 9am using timer offcourse, because I get home at 11pm everyday. That means the fishes "working" night shift...and sleep during the day...LOL. Is it ok for plants and fishes ?

Just make sure the room stays pretty dark during daytime. I worked 2nd shift before, kept my fish on a night time schedule like you are, they do need some dark time just like people. 8)

That's why we are doing it with daylight and night time. But we work regular shifts. My fiance does get home around midnight, but I am home around 7pm. So it works out so far...

Back
Top Bottom