What is my Amazon sword doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-Alex24-

Aquarium Advice Activist
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396038727.168653.jpg

I got these plants 2 weeks and slowly that got these spots. I had heard that amazon swords need iron, I give it iron ferts. Is it some disease, bad quality, or just introductory stress (meltdown)?

Swords are heavy root feeders, so putting a fert tab under it (i.e. Seachem Flourish Tabs) should help it out. It looks like it still has its immersed leaves, and in time it'll grow its proper submerged leaves. I'd cut that one leaf that is out front off.

Swords are heavy root feeders, so putting a fert tab under it (i.e. Seachem Flourish Tabs) should help it out. It looks like it still has its immersed leaves, and in time it'll grow its proper submerged leaves. I'd cut that one leaf that is out front off.

Yeah, cut the leaf and add root tabs. Potassium may be helpful too. There are great DIY root tab recipes in past posts that work wonders. Search them here, they really work, especially for swords!

I have 3 amazon swords and I am planing to. Get the osmocote tabs, how much would 100 caplusesfor three plants spaced 3. - 3. 1/2. Inches apart last?

Did you make your own or are they pre-made? If they're DIY, 1 per plant is good enough. Try to get them as close to the bottom of the tank as you can

I I don't have them yet, but they don't sell osmocote and capsules cheap and small, for me it'll cost me 40 CAD so I need to know

No, a tab is usually slow release. They should last about 3 months before you need to replace it

Yeah, they end up costing a fraction if a cent, even if you factor in the cost of a bottle of osmocote

Also if you can, move the Swords away from the walls. They need room to grow. Your rocks may be too big to hold the ferts in the substrate. You might need to add sand or some finer gravel. Planted tanks usually need about 3" of substrate. I do at least 2-2.5". Having root tab ferts leak into the water column can cause an algae bloom, so you want those nutrients to stay with the roots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what do I do now, is it just going to die of?

No not necessarily.
Sand ? You can buy Play Sand or Pool Filter Sand for cheap. I got Black Diamond Blasting Sand free from a club member.

Gravel ? Check for a Rock Yard. Much cheaper or look at Hardware stores. Just rinse sand or gravel really well.

Root tabs you can make your own or buy DIY from here or from other hobbyists on The Planted Tank sales forum ( free to join ).

For now don't gravel vac, or at least not near the plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom