What is needed to know to help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
In a nutshell, for help with deficiencies with my plants in my discus tank, what parameters do I need to test for and post. In addition to pics. I'm baffled, since my move the plants have been doing progressively worse. I now suspect the clown loaches as part of the problem but they can't be the complete problem. I know you need nitrate, but what other parameters do you need? I have a fairly extensive test kit so should be able to accomodate. TIA.

I want to plant the new tank I plan on getting so this will be helpful to that tank too.

ppm of the following
NO3
PO4

PH
KH
GH

What if anything are you dosing and how much.

How much and what kind of light?

CO2?

what plants are affected?

Jchillin said:
In order to provide definitive assistance, provide as many answers to the following questions as you are currently able to:

~Plant(s) affected?
~Tank size/volume?
~Lighting/wpg?
~Do you inject CO2? If so do you know the level?
~What do pH, KH, PO4, NH3 and/or NO3 test kits say?
~Dosing? What/how much/how often?
~Heavily, moderately, or lightly planted?
~Fish stock?
~Tank Location (near windows - in direct sunlight)?
~How long has tank been set up?

A pic of your tank or the plant affected will also be useful.

*Note - If you have not already done so, please provide tank information in your profile.

rkilling1 said:
Jchillin said:
In order to provide definitive assistance, provide as many answers to the following questions as you are currently able to:

~Plant(s) affected?
~Tank size/volume?
~Lighting/wpg?
~Fish stock?

*Note - If you have not already done so, please provide tank information in your profile.
sure just copy and past, do not take the time to type it all up each time... :p

JDogg said:
rkilling1 said:
Jchillin said:

~Plant(s) affected?
~Tank size/volume?
~Lighting/wpg?
~Fish stock?

sure just copy and past, do not take the time to type it all up each time... :p

ROLF LMAO. figured it asked the same questions you did. :lol:

LOL guys you are funny, I know what the sticky says but also know some things are more important than others. I will go and test my water and post back shortly.

Zagz said:
LOL guys you are funny, I know what the sticky says but also know some things are more important than others. I will go and test my water and post back shortly.
i look forward to it :D

Next time I'll be good and post in response to the sticky as I am one that deals out the wisdom of stickies all the time.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
All of the plants are affected but only the outside leaves, new growth is consistent and good, the red sword is turning red. The leaves are transparent. The plants are ID'ed by the people who gave them to me so I apologize if there is any discrepencies. I should mention I had hornwort in the tank until recently, green algae started taking over the hornwort which may also lend some information.

Tank is 75 gals, no CO2, NO3 is at best 5ppm, can't go more than 5 days without pwc, discus tank requires regular pwc's. No ammonia or nitrite. PO4 is .25ppm, ph is 7.6 ppm, Kh is 140, gh is 80mg/l (don't know the conversion). Tank is not near sunlight, 9 discus, 3 cories and 2 clown loaches, been set up for a year. 60 wattso of bulbs in total on the tank so that would be .8 WPG right? Did I forget anything, I can take iron and calcuim tests if need be.

Dosing nothing right now, was using root tabs, strangely enough that is when the problems started about a month after the first root tabs.

Sorry for the bad pics, there is a large wall unit in my way until the weekend. :-(
One plant has like a brown algae on it, no algae is on my glass but as I mentioned the hornwort was overcome by green alage. The plants have been like this for about a month, I've been really busy renovating and haven't had time to worry about them too much, but it is driving me crazy now.

hummm...first pic of algae...is it diatoms or is it fuzzy? not BBA is it?

other pic look like a K or Fe deficiency... if you can test of Fe and give a ppm that would be great...

.8 wpg may not be enough light for the swords (jchillin is better with low light stuff) i have never tried swords in less then 1.5 wpg

you might want to start dosing a good trace... CSM+B with pwc (may get expensive to dose in this tank cause of all the pwc required for the discus...)

I would think it's a K deficiency. Once you added the root tabs you induced the problem by allowing the plant to grow faster and therefore are now K limited. I would pick up a bottle of Leaf Zone. More light will help, but I do believe K is the big problem.+

EDIT: I really don't know. :? Here is a list of deficiencies that could cause older leaves to transfer their elements to the newer leaves:
zinc, molybdenum, magnesium, nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. My root taps contain KCl as the primary chemical used in making it. Having low or no NO3 will have the same results has having no K.

I think the brown algae is diatoms. There is no fuzzy anything on it. That just showed up the last 2 days. ARRGGGGHHHH. I will get Bill's opinion on the lighting. The plants had done fine for 8 months with that lighting so not sure what is going on there.

Iron is 0ppm. Test for chelated iron takes 30 minutes so will post that when I get it.

I also agree with K and your light. I would dare suggest that you need to up your lighting a tad to get it to at least 1.5 (which is where I am). My swords looked just like that when I was at 1.1wpg. Once I added root tabs, upped the light and started dosing K, everything recovered and became healthy.

I think I will be bulb shopping this weekend. :) Thanks guys. Now to explain to a newbie, what product brands should I be looking for to dose K? Up here in good old Sask, we usually have to shop online for products.

Jchillin said:
Flourish Potassium...great product. If you want to try the dry version and get some NO3 with it, Gregwatson.com is the place for dry KNO3.

Seachem are great products, but if you can't get them, pick up some leaf zone. It contains K and Fe.

EDIT: Thanks for the correction Rich

Thanks you guys, I will be checking around to see what I can get. Oooohhh it's like Christmas early, new lights, new stuff all around. I think I have a problem. LOL.

Ok should I also be dosing NO3? Do I also need a product like flourish just the regular stuff in addition? Big Al's ships Seachem to Canada.

Back
Top Bottom