What is on my ferns!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCarnes

Aquarium Advice Regular
First time trying a planted tank and I am failing miserably... have had several plants die already but my anubias, narrow leaf ferns, amazon sword, and windelov ferns seemed alright, until tonight.

There is this white/grey fungus looking thing growing on all of my windelov. Anyone know what it is? Should I just pull them out and throw them away.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1391207855002.jpg
    1391207855002.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 74
See if you can syphon it out. Don't get disappointed. The plants that are survived seems like low light plants. So I'm guessing you've low lighting. If you're planing on having other plants, you might have to upgrade your light and maybe use pressurized co2 or liquid co2. Do some research, ask questions. People in this forum are really helpful. We're are more than happy to help you.

See if you can syphon it out. Don't get disappointed. The plants that are survived seems like low light plants. So I'm guessing you've low lighting. If you're planing on having other plants, you might have to upgrade your light and maybe use pressurized co2 or liquid co2. Do some research, ask questions. People in this forum are really helpful. We're are more than happy to help you.

I am aiming for a low tech low light set up. I have a 55 gallon with a 48" Aqueon dual light t5 hood. I used floramaxx for the substrate topped with some gravel. I dont have any of the anubias, or java ferns in the gravel, they are all tied to driftwood at this point. I have been fishless cycling with ammonia and rightnow my ammonia is disappearing in 24 hours but my nitrites are off the charts. I did a water change the day before this stuff showed up. I am going to be doing another massive water change today and move some of my air tubing around. I read online that it may be caused by not enough current in the water amd that section of the aquarium has hardly any movement. I will let you know how I make out.

I did a 90% water change and got my nitrites down to a readable level. In order to get rid of the white/grey stuff I actually had to take the plants out and rinse them off, it would not come off just with a syphon. I attached a picture of the clean tank (still has bubbles on the glass from being filled) hopefully it stays nice a few days...

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1391291695021.jpg
    1391291695021.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 60
I'm glad you are able to work things out with your tank. It's a fun hobby. You can add a small powerhead to increase the water circulation. Btw your tank looks really nice.

Back
Top Bottom