What is that?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcarl_10gal

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys today i started my rescape project. I switched my flourite out with eco complete. After a few hours i came back to a tank covered in a spider like substance. Can anyone make sense of what this stuff is? I didnt rinse the eco as directed.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390789244.156223.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390789244.156223.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 79
I've never seen that before, hopefully someone on here can help out. Looks crazy though. .

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Its almost like a bio bloom of some sort. I was gone for 3 hrs and found it like that

I scooped a bunch out with a net and did a small water change for the night, i added a little prime just in case i had ammonia spike. I have new plants coming in soon so hopefully i can get it cleared up.

Following along too bcarl. Hang in there. Just swirl the stuff around to get it floating and do a massive WC. Be sure and use your prime. OS.

After doing some research it kind of looks like thread algae. It's cause by an iron spike.

It cant possibly be algae, i am in the middle of a rescape so the tank has only been running for around 10 hours. I did a 40% water change and will see what it looks like tomorrow. The tank is in a half established half new state. Last time i did a substrate change i did not experience any "new tank syndrome" effect.

OS when you changed to eco did you pre rinse yours?

No. I rinsed the Flora Max that I used as the very bottom base cause it is really muddy stuff. But the Eco Fine I put in straight from the bag. IMO it's some weird mineral based anomaly. LOL You haven't been feeding your diatoms steroids have you? OS.

Not yet anyways! Really weird and it exploded all over in the matter of 2 hours

It cant possibly be algae, i am in the middle of a rescape so the tank has only been running for around 10 hours. I did a 40% water change and will see what it looks like tomorrow. The tank is in a half established half new state. Last time i did a substrate change i did not experience any "new tank syndrome" effect.

OS when you changed to eco did you pre rinse yours?

After thinking about it, it cant be algae, especially after only 3 hrs. Ive never seen it and wanted to help, but algae and fungus are the only two things I found online that it could be. Maybe OS is right and it some kind of anomaly.

As of this morning tank is bank to normal just slightly cloudy (bio bloom) rescape continues! Thinking about starting a journal!

Go for it my friend.
Make up a journal so we can follow along. It's fun to do and fun for us to watch as you progress. Also it's great having everyone read your inputs and many helped me as I was doing all my rescape. If Brian_Nano12g hadn't mentioned putting the root tabs in the substrate before I started planning, I would've totally forgotten about it. When you build your journal be sure to include lots of pictures. Good luck and enjoy. OS.

Back
Top Bottom