Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2007, 10:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

What is the size of a Ma957 CO2 REGULATOR?

I wonder what size cylinder I should buy. I know the bigger the better since it lasts longer before refill and the cost difference of refill is small. But I want to put the cylinder with regulator inside the aquarium stand. The stand is 32" height from stand bottom to tank bottom. The cylinders are:

20 lb. Aluminum CO2 Cylinder, Height 27-1/2"
15 lb. Steel C02 Cylinder, Height 26"
10 lb. Aluminum CO2 Cylinder, Height 20"

I am wondering the 10lb should be ok, but how about 20lb? After put regulator and bubble counter, etc. on the cylinder and leave a little space for tubing, what is the increasment of the height? 4" more or less?

Old 08-27-2007, 10:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

From the center line of the threaded part where the regulator connects, you will need about 5" for the regulator and the arc of the tubing that comes out of the bubble counter.

Here is a photo of one that is put together. You can see that the gauges are not much taller than the valve wheel on the tank. You need a little more room for the tubing that comes out of the bubble counter. This one shows the tube going straight up to the tank, but you can bend it right over and loop it back up if you do not have the space this tank does.

HTH

Old 08-27-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the information. Now I think the 10lb is the right one.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I have a 20 pounder and it will not fit under a normal tank stand.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

A 10lb should last a long time, 6 mos to a year, or even longer, depending on bubble rates.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am a lazy guy, and want to do as less refill as possible. When doing more research, I found this regulator,

http://www.aquariumplants.com/AQUARI...ST_p/co2-1.htm

It clamins, Low profile: 1.5" higher than tank valve. With this height, plus 28" of 20lb cylinder, it comes to 30" and should be fit to my stand.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to rkilling1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gu2high
I am a lazy guy, and want to do as less refill as possible. When doing more research, I found this regulator,

It clamins, Low profile: 1.5" higher than tank valve. With this height, plus 28" of 20lb cylinder, it comes to 30" and should be fit to my stand.
I would research it online first. It may fit better, but who knows how good it is. What is better, having to refill your tank once a year and never touch the CO2 or having to refill it every two years and have to make adjustments all the time?

I'm not saying that's the case, just google it first.

You may want to send Rex a quick email and see what he can come up with. Rexgrigg.com.

FYI: From the website,

Note the super precision "Laboratory Grade"
needle valve (80 threads per inch)

LOL, that's just a standard Clippard needle valve you can purchase for 15 bucks on-line. A lot of us use those.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
LOL, that's just a standard Clippard needle valve you can purchase for 15 bucks on-line. A lot of us use those.
How about Milwaukee's needle valve, is it a standard one too?
Old 08-27-2007, 07:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to rkilling1
Quote:
Quote:
How about Milwaukee's needle valve, is it a standard one too?
I don't know much about needle valves. If you go to Rex's website, he talks about different needle valves you could use.

In regards to the Clippard valve, I just thought if was funny (nothing more, nothing less). Those Clippard valves are not bad at all. Hence, why a lot of us have them. But there are better ones out there. It is not as fine of a needle valve as I would like. Small increments change your bubble rate a great deal and I don't have my regulator set the high either (15#'s).
Old 08-28-2007, 02:17 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

As I recall shortly after that regulator started being advertised, a few people on this forum bought it. Those that reported in weren't all that pleased with it. You might want to do a search of this forum to see if you can find those reviews.

Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
co2, regulator

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com