What is this??!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ac30fan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can someone tell me how to deal with this fuzzy stuff on the leaves of some of my plants? I'm also contending with brown algae on the back of my tank.

All this, since upgrading my lighting to Fluval LED.

I've read some threads that suggested reducing the time my lights are on, if outbreak of algae occurs. So, last week I went from 12hr to 6hr lights on, and reduced food

Should I trim off the "infected" leaves?

What else can I do? It's really ugly

Attachments

• image-2279472839.jpg
    image-2279472839.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 123
  • image-541181978.jpg
    image-541181978.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 106
Cut off any dead leaves and the spot treat any good one's with hydrogen peroxide 3%. Turn your filters off, pull up 1-3ml of peroxide for every gallon of water in a syringe. Then put the syringe as close to the algae as possible and slowly squirt. Leave filters off 20 minutes before turning back on. If you have a lot you can spot treat an area a day. For the algae on the glass either use an algae magnet or think about getting some nerite snails to help with clean up. They can't breed in freshwater so you won't get overrun with snails.

Cut off any dead leaves and the spot treat any good one's with hydrogen peroxide 3%. Turn your filters off, pull up 1-3ml of peroxide for every gallon of water in a syringe. Then put the syringe as close to the algae as possible and slowly squirt. Leave filters off 20 minutes before turning back on. If you have a lot you can spot treat an area a day. For the algae on the glass either use an algae magnet or think about getting some nerite snails to help with clean up. They can't breed in freshwater so you won't get overrun with snails.

Since you have recommended soaking plants in peroxide prior to planting in tank, could I safely remove the plants & soak?

I don't have anything resembling syringe & I'd like to deal with this asap

What plants do you have? It won't bother any stem plants to remove, soak, and replant them but if you have any Swords or Crypts it will be hard on them. When you remove a Sword or Crypts from your tank you have to trim roots down to 2 or 3 inches in length to encourage new root formation. It can possibly cause Crypt melt. Not saying it will but it can.

What plants do you have? It won't bother any stem plants to remove, soak, and replant them but if you have any Swords or Crypts it will be hard on them. When you remove a Sword or Crypts from your tank you have to trim roots down to 2 or 3 inches in length to encourage new root formation. It can possibly cause Crypt melt. Not saying it will but it can.

I should have waited, and purchased a syringe as you advised.

Instead, In my haste, I pulled my infected plants & soaked them in peroxide mixture. As you warned, they're now looking wilty.

Is there a chance they can be saved by trimming the roots as you said? Will they continue to deteriorate otherwise?

Perhaps the increased heat for treatment of Ich (another thread... It's been a bad week) is also to blame for sad plants....?

If they are being to show signs of melting then leave the roots alone and actually just leave the plant alone. Even if the leaves melt off in a few weeks new leaves will usually start regrowing. The heat could also be enough to make crypts melt since they can be sensitive to tank conditions. Just be patient with them and don't write them off.

I would wait... I did the same thing to my 30g tanks plants... Somehow my moms tank started getting a nasty bout of black beard algae... probably hitchhiked from one of the plants I got not sure... But it was all over my red neseae and my Limnophila hippuroides... Which sucked.... I have been upping my co2 double what I usually put in as I heard that controls BBA... but I decided to soak my plants in a 1/20 solution of bleach water but I think I left those plants in the solution too long 1-3 minutes.. my neseae are doing fine.. some leaves lost their red color and are now pale green... But the Limnophila hippuroides didn't seem to do so well... All the leaves lost their pink color and now the green is going away... they all look clear.. The stem though is still rigid and strong so I think the plant will make a comeback... if not... lesson learned don't leave them in the bleach so long.. At least it isn't an expensive plant... and my BBA is gone and I haven't seen in come back yet

Back
Top Bottom