Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-27-2017, 01:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Kaneu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 207
What is this?

My Java fern is showing some unknown to me signs of a deficiency or disease. Does anyone know what this is and how to treat it?
Thanks in advanceClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170626_224508257.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	300844Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170626_224531132.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	300845
__________________

__________________
Kaneu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Kaneu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 207
Anyone?
Even a link to something that might explain it would be helpful if anyone has any ideas
__________________

__________________
Kaneu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bert2oo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneu View Post
Anyone?
Even a link to something that might explain it would be helpful if anyone has any ideas


Did u recently glue them on to the rocks or wood laterly? Looks like it's rotted away
__________________
Bert2oo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:42 AM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 16,069
Was also wondering if anything done to tank recently.
__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:03 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Funken_A's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: North West USA
Posts: 279
how is the rest of the plants in your tank ? Nothing else showing these signs?
Is this a relatively new plant. Could be a molt spurred by the change in venue.


Too much light possibly or not enough ferts cold be an issue... I had a java fern in a high light tank with plenty of other plants. The Java fern was shaded some but not enough. All the leaves started turning black. This could also been the result of being a new plant and molting some and some early fertilizing/CO2 issues I had. But too much light means the plant might be trying to out grow the rest of its resources which means its looking for food therefore a deficiency. Java fern do well in very low light situations. SO its possible that maybe this one is receiving more than it needs.

Using the chart below nitrogen phosphates potassium deficiencies all have burned edges moving inwards and consuming the leaf.. So if you were deficient in all of these do to too much light I could see the extreme burn being a possible sign. As I mentioned I had some fert issues early in my tank and I was woefully under fertilizing as well as my light was way to close. That combo produced real burnt black leaves. I have since replaced it with high light stem plants

Food for thought

Funken_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:23 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Kaneu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 207
Wonderful information funken. Thank you so much.
So I have glued my ferns to my driftwood. But it was a few months ago and roots were growing good. But suddenly this started happening. I made sure to not get glue on the rysome of the plant and used some of the grown roots.
I didn't know that Java ferns did better in low light situations. My lights are on roughly 7 1/2 hours a day. With injected co2. I might need to move them to different locations? Maybe under my swords.
No other plants are showing any signs like this. I am having different signs of deficiency but I know what it is.
Only recent things done to tank is water changes and trying to deal with brown algae that is everywhere. No chemicals added other than prime and fertilizers
__________________
Kaneu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bert2oo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneu View Post
Wonderful information funken. Thank you so much.
So I have glued my ferns to my driftwood. But it was a few months ago and roots were growing good. But suddenly this started happening. I made sure to not get glue on the rysome of the plant and used some of the grown roots.
I didn't know that Java ferns did better in low light situations. My lights are on roughly 7 1/2 hours a day. With injected co2. I might need to move them to different locations? Maybe under my swords.
No other plants are showing any signs like this. I am having different signs of deficiency but I know what it is.
Only recent things done to tank is water changes and trying to deal with brown algae that is everywhere. No chemicals added other than prime and fertilizers


They may just be adjusting to the new addition of your ferts and co2? If u started co2 and dry ferts at the same time it may have shocked them abit. Cut those leaves off and see if it happens to any others.

I've grow Java fern in high light without issue so I don't think it would be that
__________________
Bert2oo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:31 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Kaneu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert2oo1 View Post
They may just be adjusting to the new addition of your ferts and co2? If u started co2 and dry ferts at the same time it may have shocked them abit. Cut those leaves off and see if it happens to any others.

I've grow Java fern in high light without issue so I don't think it would be that
Good to know.
I was worried because I don't really have anywhere to put them that is under less light. And I have noticed on the same ferns that have the (burnt) marks, new leafs are sprouting.
So maybe it's just doing a major shed?
__________________

__________________
Kaneu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.