What Is This Around My Java Fern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'd had my Java Fern for about a month, bought from Petsmart. It's been doing alright for the most part, but still isn't becoming completely green. I thought it might be what is at the root of the whole plant. I've been told it's a thread clumping the plants together, some said it was normal, others weren't sure. So I was wondering what you guys think it is. Thanks!

Attachments

• rsz_p1010047.jpg
    rsz_p1010047.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 99
Was this sold in a plastic tube with gel stuff in the bottom? It could be that gel that has rotted. I think they tell you to remove it all from the roots before planting. Just a guess...

It was sold with the gel, but I removed it all. This stuff seems impossible to break apart.

Is it the rhizome and roots? I left my big java fern floating in a tank until I had a place for it. While it was floating, it grew long roots and a long rhizome that looked a little like a stick. The plant looks very healthy in the picture, so I wouldn't worry too much.

+1. I think it's just the root mass. They will grow into mats over time.

i agree nothing to worry about. see same thing here.

JavaFernNarrow.JPG

Back
Top Bottom