What is this blob?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh2o

Aquarium Advice Addict
I posted this in the planted section because it might be related to CO2 injection.
TMaLzsa.jpg

I am using DIY CO2 and I feed it directly into the filter intake tube. The other day I noticed that the flow in my AC50 HOB was less than usual. Coincidentally there has been a whitish buildup at the end of the silicon airline tubing that feeds the CO2 into the intake tube. I have seen it before but usually just wipe/shake if off. This time it built up to the point of impeding water flow.

Any idea what this could be? I am thinking it is a type of fungus. But one that favors CO2? I let it dry out and it was somewhat fibrous.

Yes. Erlenmeyer flask with rubber stopper. It should catch anything from the CO2 culture bottles.

wNhJBFI.jpg

Funny you should mention that. I said fungus like appearance and did not suspect the yeast. I just don't associate yeast with have a fibrous nature.

After about 12 hours the blob dried out and shrank.

Yes. Erlenmeyer flask with rubber stopper. It should catch anything from the CO2 culture bottles.

Funny you should mention that. I said fungus like appearance and did not suspect the yeast. I just don't associate yeast with have a fibrous nature.

After about 12 hours the blob dried out and shrank.

I've had it happen with diy co2 even with a gas separator. It's not harmful to your fish just keep removing it as it grows and you should be fine.

Oh good...it's not just me. I thought it was odd, especially that it was growing in a place where the flow rate is very high.

Back
Top Bottom