What is this Deficiency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm having these holes and brown spots appear on older leaves of my amazon Sword. The newer leaves are perfectly fine, but the old ones are getting like this.

dscf1390y.jpg

dscf1388.jpg

Any of the macros can look like that. Have you tested your nitrate lately? What kind of light do you have, do you use CO2, etc?

Forgot to mention: Watts are approximately 90 Watts for 29 Gal tank, no c02, dirt planted with miracle-gro. I've very recently started placing red clay into the tank to help with any deficiencies, so if its iron related, it may take time to remedy.

Two Double T5 Fixtures. Nitrates never get above 5 ppm, even after long periods of a lack of water changes.

If you're running T5HOs and not adding macros, it could be a deficiency of one or multiple macronutrients.

Right now I'm considering potassium, phosphates, and iron as an issue, possibly a combination thereof (as it doesn't look like any one of those alone).

Also, if you have a pleco, he might be causing shenanigans. Apparently the'll chow on swords occasionally .

I do have a Bristlenose Pleco, and i've been watching him whenever hes on my sword plants, but havent seen him do any damage. Theres phosphates/potassium in my Substrate, and i've very recently added red clay for iron. Do you recommend trimming the broken up leaves?

I have posted a thread in the past with the same issue you have. So far, have started supplementing with Fertz Nitogen (because my natural level in the tank stays low). Saw a tiny bit if improvement, but still lots of lace holes in amazon leaves.

My next step is potassium.

I ended up trimming most of the hole'd leaves and inserting Red clay around the Amazon Sword. New leaves seem to be fine, but im keeping an eye on the old ones.

Back
Top Bottom