What is this plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaxi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, does anyone know what this plant is? I've looked on various websites and can't find it anywhere. My fish love nibbling on it though!

Attachments

• image-840144261.jpg
    image-840144261.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 203
Hi, does anyone know what this plant is? I've looked on various websites and can't find it anywhere. My fish love nibbling on it though!

That looks exactly like a plant I got months ago at petco ... came in an assortment of plants. If so ... mine is still in the tank going strong ... not growing but still alive. It looks like a type of bamboo ... IMO ... the leaves resemble the leaves of a bamboo plant I have

It's not waxy, doesn't seem to be rooting very well but still alive. It's gone down in size as I keep having to take off the nibbled leaves. I'm pretty good with garden plants and doesn't seem to be in that category either. I'm stumped! Will get the name from where I bought it and let you know my findings.

It looks to me like a type of Draceana (maybe deremensis?), which is not aquatic.

StuG said:
It looks to me like a type of Draceana (maybe deremensis?), which is not aquatic.

Um interesting! When I read that I thought no it cant be, I've got one of those but then googled and think you could be right. There are ones with wider leaves. Should they be selling it if it's not aquatic? It came from the most reputable aquatic store around here which is worrying! I will ask them next time I go.

Jaxi said:
Um interesting! When I read that I thought no it cant be, I've got one of those but then googled and think you could be right. There are ones with wider leaves. Should they be selling it if it's not aquatic? It came from the most reputable aquatic store around here which is worrying! I will ask them next time I go.

That will happen a lot. Even good fish stores make mistakes :(

yeah the one you have in your house is probably marginata 'Tricolor', or Dragon Tree. There's a ton of different Draceana's though, and unfortunately these, as well as a couple of other terrestrial plants are often sold as aquatic.

StuG said:
yeah the one you have in your house is probably marginata 'Tricolor', or Dragon Tree. There's a ton of different Draceana's though, and unfortunately these, as well as a couple of other terrestrial plants are often sold as aquatic.

So should I complain to the store? Would you?

Maybe not complain but you could inform them. If they are as reputable as you day they are, I'm sure they would gladly either replace you plant with a true aquatic or possibly take that plant off their ordering list.

maybe that plant was meant for an aquarium that houses small reptiles?

jpchin said:
maybe that plant was meant for an aquarium that houses small reptiles?

Would it have been in water with the rest of the plants if that's so? It was next to an amazon sword plant.

well i see your point but a lot of the employee's of the chain stores and other independent stores are not as knowledgeable as they should be and they might have put the plant in the wrong place. i don't know it was just a guess on my part as the plant looks like it could be used for that purpose

jpchin said:
well i see your point but a lot of the employee's of the chain stores and other independent stores are not as knowledgeable as they should be and they might have put the plant in the wrong place. i don't know it was just a guess on my part as the plant looks like it could be used for that purpose

Oh yes I get you! It could well have been put in the wrong place. I'm going to go there next week and just ask the name of it without making a fuss then look it up quickly, if its not aquatic, then make a fuss.
I want them to do something about it if its wrong as eventually it will die most probably and cause stink in my tank.

i totally agree with you. if it's not aquatic, it will definately rot out in the water. at pet smart they sell those plants that are in the plastic containers right in the fish aisle yet a lot of them aren't for underwater use .please keep us posted.

I sure will. I'll be sorting them out. I'd almost understand it if it was pet smart as sometimes they can't tell which end is the dogs head! it was from a very good only aquatic type place. Watch this space!

Back
Top Bottom