What is this plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was at the local pet store and she had gotten in a shipment of fish. There was a package of assorted plants in with the shipment. She ordered a miscellaneous assortment to see if she could sale them. I bought a bundle of two plants but she didn't know the name of them. She thought it was a moss but I don't think so. I am thinking Sagittaria or cyprus. Could someone tell me what it is?

Attachments

• plant.jpg
    plant.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 130
  • plant2.jpg
    plant2.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 117
Is that a single plant? It looks like Mondo grass which is a bog plant, not aquatic.

I got two bundles of that stuff, it was in an actual tank so I thought it must be aquatic. Newbie mistake. So glad to know that it's not fully aquatic because after 5 months in my tanks I noticed a few leaves withering away. Now I can take it out without feeling like I was failing at taking care of a plant.

Thanks everyone. I looked up mondo grass and it does look like what I bought. The pet store is just a small locally owned one. I try to give her as much business as I can but her prices are high and her info is often wrong. She does have a limited selection of fish, both saltwater and fresh water and they look healthy. There is no local fish store or large chain close too me. I travel once a month to a larger town about 70 miles away that has a Petsmart. I get the food for my corn snake there and I am thinking about buying my fish there because Walmart doesn't have much of a selection. I will remove the mondo grass from my tank and replant it. I have an outdoor frog pond I want to plant around and I can transplant it there this Spring. I think I will order some plants from Liveaquaria.com. I read through the planted tank forum and made a list of plants to look for.

I highly recommend buying from other Hobbyists.

Check our AA mart first.

Then check
TPT...The Planted Tank ( only members can see Sales Threads) and
APC...Aquatic Plant Central ( members only mart)
Both are free to join.

I've gotten great deals from fellow hobbyists.
Power Sellers are great, they have a ton of positive feedback.

I took the plants out of my tank and replanted in potting soil. They died within two days. They were fine in the aquarium but turned brittle and hard within a day of removing. Lesson learned. Don't buy plants you are not sure of.

I bought some java fern from a member on here and a plant package from aquabid.com with enough to do both my tanks and have a lot left over for less than what I could order a few plants for else where. I am going to list the excess here when I see how they are. I set up an extra growing tank with lights and plant substrate to quarantine them for awhile. I read about all the hitch hikers that can come with plants. I don't want snails that I haven't purposely introduced to my tank.

Back
Top Bottom